Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

Invalid or damaged bootable partition

This is a discussion on Invalid or damaged bootable partition within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have just completed the makeup of a newsletter - a month's solid work Logged off to take a break

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 12:20 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have just completed the makeup of a newsletter - a month's solid work Logged off to take a break - try to logon again and got the above message ' 'invalid or damaged bootable partition' - I feel sick. I hadn't backed it up yet!
I guess it's pretty serious Windows 7 Dell Studio 10 monts old.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:47 PM   #2
- Microsoft Support

OS: Windows 8.1 64bit/Ubuntu 14 LTS 64bit via Vm Player

My System

What is the model number of your machine?

Virus Help
Ubuntu Live CD
PC Running Slow?
Memtest
UBCD
Remember dust buildup in your PC can be a killer!!
Old 03-19-2012, 01:10 PM   #3
Registered Member

The only info I have is the following: Dell Studio 17 1745 Dual Core 3GB ATI 17" WRT willl this do?
Old 03-19-2012, 01:17 PM   #4
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Do you have a install or recovery disc from which you can try to repair it Windows Recovery Environment: When Computer Won't Boot

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

You can backup your files by using an Ubuntu Live CD. to a USB Flash Drive. Once you're safely backed up, press F12 at bootup and run the Dell Diagnostics.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:33 PM   #6
Registered Member

The Dell came in a proper Dell box and packed as new but I don't remember seeing any disks. I remember wondering where they were, but then it went completely out of my mind. I have searched around including looking in the Dell box which I still have, but no luck. I am not too computer literate when it comes to the technical side of things, so if someone could steer in the right direction, tell me exactly where to go and what to do, I woud really be so grateful. Thanks. Nancy
Old 03-19-2012, 02:41 PM   #7
Certifiable Lazy Bum

Send a message via Yahoo to sobeit

before doing anything, as previously suggested download the ubuntu live cd and boot to it. You will be able to see your drive and navigate so you can backup your important files. You do not want to lose them while trying to repair your boot.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:47 PM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
You can backup your files by using an Ubuntu Live CD. to a USB Flash Drive. Once you're safely backed up, press F12 at bootup and run the Dell Diagnostics.
As Sobeit and I both suggested.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:01 PM   #9
Registered Member

Thanks for your good advice - unbelievably I have run out of clean disks, so it will have to wait until tomorrow. I have also just come across the disks that came with the Dell - can I make use of these or am I better off waiting to download the file suggested? Thank you again, you are really great!
Old 03-19-2012, 05:23 PM   #10
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
I have just completed the makeup of a newsletter - a month's solid work
Since your newsletter and your files are very important to you, its best to backup your files first before attempting to repair your computer, as repairing may not allow you to recover your old data If you don't have any blank CD's, you can create a bootable Ubuntu Live USB Flash Drive as well. You still need another drive to back the files up to (ex) USB HDD/Flash Drive.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:31 AM   #11
Certifiable Lazy Bum

Send a message via Yahoo to sobeit

if you have access to any windows 7 disk (version does not matter), you can try doing a startup repair. It may even be included on your dell disks. Someone who knows about dell will have to help with that. However, as with any fix, there is always the possibility of losing your data. That is why it is recommended to back up your important data first.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:21 AM   #12
Registered Member

My thanks to everyone for all the help given. I was going to tackle the problem today (after I purchased a blank disc).

However, I thought I would try to logon again this morning to see if anything would happen -- and it did!! Everything was back to normal - so I quickly backed up my current work.

So why did the corruption happen and how can I be sure it will not happen again? What can I do to prevent it recurring?

Again my thanks

Anonymousse (Nancy)
Old 03-20-2012, 11:07 AM   #13
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Recovery disc link for dell here Tech Support Forum - Announcements in Forum : Microsoft Support
it will cost you a small fee

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:07 PM   #14
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Computers are a dark science. There is always a mystery to some of it. Electronic parts fail all the time. Always keep a current backup of your most important files. As Joeten suggested get a Recovery Disk from Dell. Come back if you have future problems and we will assist you.
Please mark this thread Solved in the Thread Tools at the top.

Closed Thread