Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Internet quit working w/ Vista OS works fine w/ XP OS

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  captainobvious 
#1 ·
I cannot access the internet through EI or Firefox on our home computer that is running Vista.Ofcourse my laptop running XP works fine. I have tried a number of fixes from different forums and so far nothing has worked. I'm working off the same wireless network for both, I have had the Vista computer for about a year, and the internet as worked relatively well until about two days ago. The problem existed before I installed SP1 and has persisted after the install. :upset:

Can somone work with me on this to figure out what the problem is? Thanks.

#5 ·
HAve you tried just having Vista to try to detect the problem? Windows will usually tell you what is wrong. Next time you get page cannot be displayed. click "Diagnose the connection" on that screen and see if it gives you ideas of what is wrong. Also there is a cool little trick you can try to determine if it is the router configuration or the computer causing the issue. Go to control panel->click on classic view->network and sharing center. There will be a diagram near the top section of this screen with a picture of a computer with a line that has a "X" through it. If the "X" is between the pc and router then it means the issue is most likely in the pc, if the "X" is between the router and the internet icon than it is the router or your modem/isp causing the problem. Click the red "X" and it will try to tell you the problem.

#6 ·
Thanks Jenae, but I just uninstalled and reinstalled the wireless adapter and that did not fix the problem.

Rex, my Network and Sharing Center actually does not display a red X at all...when I hit diagnose and repair, windows says nothing is wrong.

By the way, my AOL IM is connected and working, I just can't get a webpages to display in EI or Firefox.

Yet I'm on the very same network with my laptop and having no problems, and I haven't had this problem come up before in the last 12 months with this desktop.

#7 ·
Hi, what Anti Virus do you have (Paul is away (my Dad) I am Jenae also a computer scientist although I do not have Dad's experience) he always answers on the forums I started him on them when I experienced a sexist response so he said he would be jenae and see how they reacte. I suspect a firewall problem or TCP ip stack problem.

#8 ·
You may just want to disable your virus protection and see if you can access the internet though IE and Firefox. If you can than we know what the problem is. If it works you can add exceptions to virus and firewall programs to allow IE and Firefox. Also try getting a different internet browser such as Opera or Chrome and see if you can connect using those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.