Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

Install error 2503 and 2502

This is a discussion on Install error 2503 and 2502 within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I tried to upgrade Adobe Reader and Skype, as a newer version was available. I kept getting error 2503 and

Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 06:04 PM   #1
Registered Member

I tried to upgrade Adobe Reader and Skype, as a newer version was available. I kept getting error 2503 and 2502 when attempting. So, I tried to uninstall each to reinstall and I couldn't uninstall either. I got the same errors. I went to Microsoft and ran their fixit for the problem but it still isn't fixed. They uninstalled the programs fine but I can't reinstall without the error message coming up.
Help.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:15 PM   #2
MBA, MCITP, MCSA, Sec+

OS: Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows 7 Pro x64, Windows Server 2008 R2

My System

Send a message via MSN to mjones1 Send a message via Skype™ to mjones1

From Microsoft's mouth to your LCD screen:
fix internal error 2503 and 2502 - Microsoft Answers

Post back results. :)

EDIT: Oh, and welcome to TSF. ;)

Old 04-14-2012, 06:29 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks for the quick response. The instructions look rather overwhelming for someone technically challenged. It appears, though, that someone else had the same problem today. I wonder if it has to do with a recent Windows update. Messed up. Anyway, I will attempt to do some of those things asked.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:55 PM   #4
MBA, MCITP, MCSA, Sec+

My System

I'll translate, try:
1- Confirm correct date and time settings on your operating system
2- Right click on the installer (itunes installer, .exe file you downloaded), and "run as administrator"
3- If you type %temp% in the Start RUN box you could clean out all the temp files (that are able to be deleted), Programs dump a lot of files in there with each failed attempt.
4- Try to uninstall old iTunes or install iTunes in safe mode. Turn your computer off. Just after you hit your power button to turn it back on, button-mash the F8 key until you get into the advanced boot options. Select "Safe Mode with Networking", just in case you need to get back online to download the installer.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:17 PM   #5
Registered Member

Ok. I did all of that. I even ran a registry clean, etc, etc. When I went in Safe Mode and tried to Install Adobe Reader as Run as Administrator instead of error code 2503 or 2502 coming up, I got "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance."

Now what?

Thanks!
Old 04-16-2012, 08:08 PM   #6
MBA, MCITP, MCSA, Sec+

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhattonccn View Post
Ok. I did all of that. I even ran a registry clean, etc, etc. When I went in Safe Mode and tried to Install Adobe Reader as Run as Administrator instead of error code 2503 or 2502 coming up, I got "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance."

Now what?

Thanks!
Sounds like your issue is now a Windows problem, and not a software specific problem.

I advise running a repair installation. Do you have Vista or 7? Do you have your Windows disk?
Repair installs (also known as in-place upgrades) are the simplest, because they will overwrite all of the windows files (including windows installer.msi), but leave your programs and user-sensitive data in place.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 & Windows Server 2008 R2
Old 04-17-2012, 05:03 AM   #7
- Microsoft Support

OS: Windows 8.1 64bit/Ubuntu 14 LTS 64bit via Vm Player

My System

Registry cleaners do more harm than good. If the registry cleaning software offered to backup the registry before making changes I would use that back up to restore what was changed.

Virus Help
Ubuntu Live CD
PC Running Slow?
Memtest
UBCD
Remember dust buildup in your PC can be a killer!!
Old 04-17-2012, 09:06 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones1 View Post
Sounds like your issue is now a Windows problem, and not a software specific problem.

I advise running a repair installation. Do you have Vista or 7? Do you have your Windows disk?
Repair installs (also known as in-place upgrades) are the simplest, because they will overwrite all of the windows files (including windows installer.msi), but leave your programs and user-sensitive data in place.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 & Windows Server 2008 R2

Thanks for this. Unfortunately it won't let me upgrade because it says my current version is newer than the one I am trying to upgrade to. The only thing it will let me do is a complete do over. So, I don't know what else to do.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:06 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer_24 View Post
Registry cleaners do more harm than good. If the registry cleaning software offered to backup the registry before making changes I would use that back up to restore what was changed.

Yes, I am afraid the registry cleaner didn't help the problem a bit but created more problems. Thanks.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:15 AM   #10
- Microsoft Support

OS: Windows 8.1 64bit/Ubuntu 14 LTS 64bit via Vm Player

My System

Did it ask you to backup the registry before making any changes? If so use the backup.reg file to restore the registry.

Virus Help
Ubuntu Live CD
PC Running Slow?
Memtest
UBCD
Remember dust buildup in your PC can be a killer!!
Closed Thread