Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

IE9 with hidden, inaccessible add-ons

This is a discussion on IE9 with hidden, inaccessible add-ons within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have been having problems again with unresponisve loading of web pages and videos not playing in Youtube, just a

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 02:31 PM   #1
Registered Member

My System

I have been having problems again with unresponisve loading of web pages and videos not playing in Youtube, just a circle showing it's trying to load.

I am using Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, I have ADSL Broadband through a Netgear DG834N modem/router. I know this has nothing to do with this section but because my speed was showing as 6.4 mbit/sec downstream and upstream of 773kb, which is acceptable, I started to look for other problems....

I found my add-ons are no longer visible in IE9. You can just see the top of the headings in the add-on dialogue box. I tried accessing them from the gear wheel at the top and from the Tools menu but both the same. I can click the arrows on the headings just but the box is blank otherwise. I could take a screen shot if you like.

I was hoping to disable add-ons to see if that helped. I have Firefox and Waterfox installed too but I mainly use IE9. All browsers are going slow, you wait for the page to turn. I get this problem every so often, then it is ok again.

I wondered if anyone else has lost their add-ons in IE9? All of my Microsoft updates are up to date. I use filehippo updater to update my software as soon as the updates come through.

I am using an i7 930 processor with an ASUS P6X58D-E motherboard and 6Gb of Corsair Dominator 1600 DDR3 RAM & Corsair 850W HX PSU with a Noctua CPU 120mm cooler & an ASUS HD5850 1Gb GPU.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:45 PM   #2
Registered Member

My System

I must apologise for posting this in the wrong section, it should be Windows 7.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:31 PM   #3
Registered Member

My System

Please view screenshot below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IE9 Add-ons.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	109294  
Old 05-14-2012, 04:04 PM   #4
Registered Member

My System

I have found that my Firefox Browser has all of the add-ons visible.

Do I need to reset my IE9?
Old 05-14-2012, 11:32 PM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Are you running IE9 with addons disabled (IE safe mode)? Enable & Disable Internet Explorer 9 Add-on in 5 Steps, How to Disable IE9 Addon, Disable Addons Internet Explorer 9 | Hot Spicy News plus Technology
To reset IE9 to defaults, In IE, go to Tools/Internet Options/Advanced/Reset Internet Explorer settings/Reset.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:26 PM   #6
Registered Member

My System

Thank you for your reply spunk.funk & sorry for the delay in replying, trouble with TSF logging me out in this post, but it's fine tonight.

No my add-ons are not disabled. Usually when I start IE9 the message appears at the bottom of the screen saying: would you like to speed up IE9 by disabling add-ons? I have not had this message appear in ages, so I clicked on it and there were my add-ons and they are enabled. I have provided a screenshot for you to see.

Unfortunately the same problem is still there, you cannot see my add-ons if I select Tools and then manage add-ons or if I select Settings and access them from that menu.

My add-ons are enabled and there, they are just hidden, as I had expected.

I think a re-set may not solve this one? There must be a setting amiss I think.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IE9 Add-ons_2.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	109675