Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

Icons and Programs not responding. Please Help

This is a discussion on Icons and Programs not responding. Please Help within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, Running windows 7 on Sony Vaio laptop. Icons do not respond, programs will not open. Everything displays correct, there

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 09:38 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi,

Running windows 7 on Sony Vaio laptop.
Icons do not respond, programs will not open. Everything displays correct, there are no error messages. Just wont work.

I am on this computer now, If I go into control panel and click Vaio Web Help it will bring up Internet Explorer and go to sony website and I can navigate from there.

I have tried to restore from a few different dates...no change
Tried running programs in safe mode..... nothing

I am sure it must be a virus/malware, but how can I scan for it if no programs will respond.

Also, if i go to a website to download a scanner/remover, it will download but will not run, nothing will run. It says something about installer not working properly, I have tried this in safe mode as well.

Any thoughts, ideas will begreatly appreciated!!!!

Thank You

Old 02-02-2012, 09:44 AM   #2
Registered Member

Have you got any live CDs like Dr web cure it

Old 02-02-2012, 09:46 AM   #3
Registered Member

No. No recovery or IMG backup disk either.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:31 AM   #4
Registered Member

Have you got use of another computer
Old 02-02-2012, 12:26 PM   #5
Registered Member

yes i do. xp though
Old 02-02-2012, 12:49 PM   #6
- Microsoft Support

OS: Windows 8.1 64bit/Ubuntu 14 LTS 64bit via Vm Player

My System

If you believe that you may have malware or a virus please proceed to the "Virus Help" link below my signature. Follow all instructions.

Virus Help
Ubuntu Live CD
PC Running Slow?
Memtest
UBCD
Remember dust buildup in your PC can be a killer!!
Old 02-02-2012, 01:22 PM   #7
Registered Member

Thanks. It will not allow me to uninstall anything. Says the installer is not working and contact administrator?????????

Thanks
Old 02-02-2012, 03:06 PM   #8
Registered Member

ok, Thanks.
Tried that. Notepad did open and saved to desktop

Error Msg

Line 9
Char 1
Code Expected Statement
Code 800A0400
Source Microsoft VBScript Compilation Error

????
What did I do wrong? Do I still need to use a different computer if notepad is working?

Thank You
Old 02-02-2012, 03:13 PM   #9
Registered Member

Did you read all the page on the link the bloke had same problem but if you read further and click on the links on the page.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:28 PM   #10
Registered Member

Tried them all. I dont think I am doing anything wrong? If I double click the saved file i get the error msg. I tried command prompt from start menu and i paste the file in and nothing happens. Just says at bottom winsys32/ or something like that and blinking cursor waiting for something? I dont know?

Ya got anything else? Thank You
Old 02-02-2012, 07:45 PM   #11
Registered Member

chkdsk didnt do anything. The computer boots fine. I can access safe mode and everything else. System will restore, but that does not help, programs will still not work. I can download items, but they will not install even in safe mode.

Any ideas.

Thank You
Old 02-03-2012, 02:14 AM   #12
Registered Member

Did you download the live cd on your good pc and burn it to disk and run it on the one that has the problem.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:12 AM   #13
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.

Hi, we need to know more about your problem. Have you posted on the security forum as Jack suggested?

When you right click on an Icon and select properties what does the target show?

Are you able to run any executable and if so how?

You may have file assoc problems we may have to repair .exe or .Ico or .Lnk assoc.

Please do not run OR follow any other advice until you post back.

Closed Thread