Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

I uninstalled a program, but the icon remains in Add/Remove programs.

This is a discussion on I uninstalled a program, but the icon remains in Add/Remove programs. within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My laptop came with Microsft Works 8, and yesterday I decided as I never used it I would uninstall it.

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 06:08 AM   #1
Registered Member

My laptop came with Microsft Works 8, and yesterday I decided as I never used it I would uninstall it. Now, it kept coming up with an error, saying I needed the installation CD to complete the uninstallation, wich I didn't have. So, I searched about, came across a few threads with the same problem.

There were a couple of suggestions of 3rd party software to use, and I used something called Powertools, and it got rid of it. The Works folder is no longer in Program files, and I belive the 230MB has been freed!

However, in add/remove programs, the icon for Microsoft works is still there. I've done some searching for this problem as well, and I'm always coming across

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314481

However, I've looked in the place it tells me to look, and ive triple checked, and there is no entry there for Works.

So, any ideas how I can get rid of this icon? (Which is bugging me way more than it should =P)

Btw, clicking the icon in add/remove does nothing, as does pressing delete/backspace etc.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:29 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Try running the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility which can be downloaded here http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/9/d/e9d80355-7ab4-45b8-80e8-983a48d5e1bd/msicuu2.exe

Old 06-19-2009, 06:32 AM   #3
Registered Member

Oh, I tried running that as well earlier (and I just tried it again now), and every time as soon as I click it it says this:

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/6056/errorvov.jpg

Any ideas?
Old 06-19-2009, 06:35 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

First right click the exe file and select run as administrator.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:45 AM   #5
Registered Member

That worked thanks!

How annoying though that I'd already downloaded the right program, it never crossed my mind to run as administrator...

Anyway, thanks very much
Old 06-19-2009, 12:27 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

No problem stick around and you'll be surprised what you can learn and maybe even help at times after you yourself have learned much.