Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

I think my HDD is dying

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  spunk.funk 
#1 ·
I apologize if this is in the wrong forum, but I think I'm in trouble :4-dontkno

So since yesterday, my computer has been making a loud noise. It is akin to a lawnmower, albeit quieter. The best way I could describe it is a loud VRRRRRRRRRRRR sound which starts about 10 seconds after booting up my computer. I think my hard drive may be dying. My computer crashing a few minutes after booting up is a periodic (once a every two weeks) thing that is also making me think my hard drive is dying. I googled videos of hard drives dying, and it sounds similar to my computer.

I did the most obvious thing first. I opened up my computer and cleaned all the dust off the fan and in general and around the area. I left it unplugged and tried running my computer. It was fine for the next two boots. On the third it started making the sound again, and I had the fan unplugged for the fifth, yet it still was making this noise. I haven't turned the computer on since, but plan on making a backup of all my files onto my portable hard drive. (What is the most elegant way to do this besides dragging and dropping 200 gigs of stuff)

Thanks in advance guys

The specs it says on the outside of my computer

Windows 7
Q8200 Intel core 2 quad processor
4 GB DDR2
640 GB

Acer aspire AX1800-E9232

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm not a tech here, but I can give some advice since I saw a friend go through some stuff with his screwy laptop.

I would transfer small pieces at a time and start with the higher priority stuff. 1 file at a time would be the best.

It can stop working at any time, and I would not turn it on again unless it was to try to salvage what's on it- it could just die on you and then you will have to find a data recovery service, and I doubt it's that important.

If it's dying with just the normal OS functions, and your data is that important, then you may want to buy an adapter that will allow you to connect the HD via USB to another PC. Extracting data that way may not be as stressful on the HD since it is not dealing with an OS.

Good luck-

#3 ·
if your sure it's not one of the fans that is making the noise. Pull the HDD out of the computer and plug it into a USB Adapter hook it up to a working computer and salvage any of your data. You will be able to hear if it is HDD is making the sound better when it is out of the computer. You then can run the HDD diagnostics for your HDD manufactuerer

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.