Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

i can't open anything on my computer

This is a discussion on i can't open anything on my computer within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My computer turns on fine i can see my desktop background and i can move my mouse, all of my

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 02:18 AM   #1
Registered Member

My computer turns on fine i can see my desktop background and i can move my mouse, all of my icons are there. When i hover my mouse over my icons they high light and everything looks fine but when i try to double click on something it does not open. Ctrl+alt+delete does not work or anything, so how do i fix it? Also i dont want to lose any of my work so i would prefer an answer that does not involve a hard drive format

Old 05-05-2012, 02:19 AM   #2
Registered Member

I forgot to say that i am running windows 7

Old 05-05-2012, 02:34 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

First off, backup all your work that you don't want to loose to a USB HDD or Flash Drive.
After you have safely backed up, Do a System Restore to a time before this happened. If that fails, restart the computer and press F8. In the Advanced boot menu choose Safe Mode with Networking. Does that work?
Go to Start/Search and type cmd Right click the CMD icon in the search results and Run As Administrator. In the Command Prompt type chkdsk C: /R and press enter. Now type a Y for Yes. and restart the computer. Check Disk will run at next bootup.
If that fails, when you restart the computer, press F8 again but this time choose Repair Your Computer.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:40 AM   #4
Registered Member

I can open anything, i cant get to the start menu. It is late so i will try to fix it tomorrow, i will keep you updated.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:46 AM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Quote:
restart the computer, press F8 again but this time choose Repair Your Computer
Old 05-05-2012, 01:54 PM   #6
Registered Member

ok it is the morning now so i can work on my computer all day