Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

HP Pavilion Media Center PC Recovery

4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  jcgriff2 
#1 ·
I was stupid - I was swooned by the allure of participating in the Windows 7 beta.
I regret this now.
Now I seem to be stuck with the infernal software, unable to restore to my well-known Vista Home Premium. I have the "FACTORY_IMAGE" Partition still, yet, the Windows 7 installation removed my HP Recovery manager (And their little "F11" trick at startup" - seriously, Microsoft, messing with my BIOS now?). I have all the files neccesary for a restore to original settings...but no software to IMPLEMENT this restore.I don't have a recovery CD (And I'm only just interviewing for my job), and I can't shell out 20$ for a recovery CD from HP, is there any way to access this vital partition to remove the reminder of windows 98 from my PC?
(I swear, I've never blue screened so much on any OS before, not even Windows 98.)

#2 ·
Hi -

I got the part about Vista and Windows 7 - but got lost with the mention of Windows 98. Where does it come into play here?

I have an HP dv7-1020us that came with Vista SP1 x64 and loaded Windows 7 x64 on to it and overall have not had any problems with Win 7. In fact I like Win 7 very much. Due to warranty issues, I had to return to Vista x64 for a brief period and found the recovery partition to be useless. I ended up ordering the recovery DVDs for $20 and experienced no problems.

Have you tried to press ESC during boot-up? ESC is mentioned on my start up screen - not F11. If your recovery partition is in fact intact, you should be able to revert to Vista - however, the boot sector may be a problem. Your system now knows that is has run Win 7 and may have upgraded your Vista license. I have not seen too many cases of this, but in theory it could happen eventhough Win 7 is beta.

Try the ESC key if not already done so. You may also need to modify the boot sector - here is an MS KB on that topic -

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392/

It is possible that others will come upon this thread and be able to offer alternatives. I wish you the best of luck.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.