Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

HP Laserjet 1012 & Windows 7

This is a discussion on HP Laserjet 1012 & Windows 7 within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I really need some help someone. I have been trying to solve this issue for almost a year and I'm

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 07:29 PM   #1
Registered Member

I really need some help someone. I have been trying to solve this issue for almost a year and I'm no closer to a solution. I have an HP Laserjet 1012 printer that I can't live without, to put it bluntly. It's well known at this point that this printer is incompatible with Windows 7 as HP has clearly stated on their site but like every other tech guy that's an unacceptable answer. I have a HP desktop computer running Windows 7 Ultimate and this printer installed and works flawlessly on it. I then installed this printer on my Toshiba Satellite also running Windows 7 Ultimate and again the printer works perfect both as a local printer and through the desktop as a network printer. Shortly after that I tried to install the printer and drivers on my HP Elitebook running the same Windows 7 Ultimate and NO GO! one error after another stating compatibility issues. Then I tried to install it on my Dell Inspiron netbook also running Windows 7 and same errors occur. All of the research I have done confirms the compatibility issue but this does not explain why I currently have this printer fully operational on 2 windows 7 machines without issue and can't get it to install on the other 2. What am I missing? I have been working on this for over a year and now it's more a matter of principle then anything else. ANY SUGGESTIONS???

Old 04-03-2012, 07:31 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

HP use a multi driver PCL5 and PCL 6 if I'm not mistaken - Which are you using? I would look at the known good driver on one of your other machines that works and use the same driver. And test.

Do let us know, cheers.

/ CRIT

Looking for support with something else?
Microsoft ¦ Security ¦ Hardware ¦ Networking

Got an SSD?
Disable Defrag, SuperFetch and Prefetch!

*I do not always subscribe to threads*
If you're awaiting a reply after 24 hours, please PM me
Old 04-03-2012, 01:50 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thank you for the reply but unfortunitly not only have I used the same driver pack I actually dragged it across the network straight out of the working machine and all the specs matched each other. Like I said it makes no sence how 2 windows machines run this printer and yet no others will. You can imagine how mind numbing this is. I enjoy problem solving but the problem has to at least make sence.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:14 PM   #4
Networking Team |Tech

Having sniffed via google.
Quote:
Oh my my !!!
I just made it work also. I just got Windows 7 and my HP Laserjet 1012 (love this one ... it's my work horse) would not work.
This is how I made it work.
Install it at a "HP 1015" in Windows. You will see that it does not print.
After it has been installed .... go to your ---> Devices and Printers. Right Click on "HP LaserJet 1015" ---> Click on "Printer Properties ---> Choose the "Ports" Tab. From the list of Ports .... Choose "Dot4_001" with the Description: Generic IEEE 1284.4 printing support.
Then click on "Apply"
Then Choose the Tab "General" in the same window ... and Click on "Print Test Page".

MCP | MCDST | MCSA
Old 04-03-2012, 05:20 PM   #5
Registered Member

Well now thank you my friend. I will give that a try as this I have not done before. Being that you too own a HP 1012 you can understand the importance of getting this to work. Like you said "work horse". I replace the toner cartridge about once every year and a half. I would be quite sad if I had to give that up. I will try your advice and post my results. Again thank you!
Old 04-04-2012, 06:51 AM   #6
Registered Member

My friend IT-Berry thank you very much! Thanks to your sound advice I now have 4 Windows 7 machines printing to my HP 1012. This was something I had almost given up on. Thank you again for your help.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:07 AM   #7
Networking Team |Tech

No problem at all friend.

Glad its working for you.

MCP | MCDST | MCSA
Old 10-15-2012, 04:08 AM   #8
Registered Member

I have a LaserJet P1102 (assuming we are talking about the same printer). I tried your suggestion but LaserJet 1105 does not show up as one of the options in Windows 7. How did you install the drivers?