Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

HP laptop with Vongo software

This is a discussion on HP laptop with Vongo software within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I have a new HP laptop that came with Vongo software preloaded on it. I would like to remove

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 11:40 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi,
I have a new HP laptop that came with Vongo software preloaded on it. I would like to remove but everything I read about it says it could create a problem for me. Could some one please advise me on the best/safest way to remove this program.
I am using Vista Home Premium operating system.
Thanks,
Peggy

Old 01-27-2008, 02:10 PM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Visiting Expert

Hi Peggy

I recently worked on a brand-new Hp/Compaq notebook, and removing Vongo went without any problems (by the way, the notebook was fine: I was just tuning it up and putting the software on the computer that my client wanted). The trick to the uninstallation going well is to make sure that no Vongo background programs are running when you uninstall.

So -- you quit any Vongo items in your System Tray (usually in the lower right-hand corner of your screen, where the system clock is) - and check if the service InstallShield Update Service Scheduler is running (right-click the Computer icon in the Vista Start menus, select Manage, then select Services, and look for the Installshield item (isuspm.exe), or any other Vongo entiries, ... and Stop them (you can also set them to Disabled). Then go to the Vista Control Panel - Programs and Features - and choose the item Uninstall or Change a Program ... find Vongo in the list and choose to Uninstall. Reboot, and your computer should be Vongo free.

This should do it. If you'd like to be extra thorough, you can delete the Vongo folder in Program Files if you'd like. There may be a Vongo entry under Common also - most any Vongo folder can go.

Should you run into any trouble, there is a more detailed procedure (that basically does many of the same things, but also includes the use of the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility. That's a commendable utility, but if things go right the first time, you shouldn't need it.

I'll copy & paste the full instructions from the cnet forums that have been widely quoted (they were based on instructions from Hp techs) - just in case you need them [you can try my simpler removal first, though, if you'd like to save time)]
Quote:
Uninstall VONGO Software:

1. Restart the Notebook and keep Tapping F8.
2. Select Safe Mode and press Enter
3. Click on Start, select Run, type "msconfig" press Enter.
4. Click on Startup tab and uncheck the check box besides "isuspm"
5. Click OK and restart the system for the new settings to take effect.
Note: After you restart the machine you may receive a dialogue box stating 'System is running using Selective Startup', Check 'Don't show this message or launch the system configuration utility when Windows Starts' and click OK.
Now, restart the Notebook again and go into Safe Mode by tapping F8. Click on Start -> Control Panel -> Add Remove Programs

Locate the Vongo Software and click on Remove to uninstall it.

If this does not resolve the issue, you may have to manually delete the files.

1. Double click on My Computer
2. Double click on C Drive
3. Double click on Program Files
4. Select the Vongo Software folder and press Delete.
5. Close the Window
6. Right click on Recycle Bin folder and select Empty Recycle Bin

This will remove the Software.

Now, run the Windows Installation Cleanup Utility, this will remove the registry entries for the Software.

You can download the Utility from the given below link:

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...bd/msicuu2.exe

The Windows Installer CleanUp Utility does:

• Provide a dialog box where you can select one or more programs that were installed by Windows Installer. You select the programs on the Installed Products list in the Windows Installer CleanUp dialog box. After you make this selection, the utility removes only the Windows Installer configuration information that is related to those programs.

• Remove the files and registry settings that make up the Windows Installer configuration information for programs that you select.

Those longer instructions should only be necessary if the uninstaller has trouble -- I've removed Vongo from several Compaqs, and haven't had to do anything quite so drastic. So long as Vongo or it's background processes or services aren't running, the uninstaller should work fine.

Best of luck!
. . . Gary

Old 01-28-2008, 04:30 PM   #3
Registered Member

Hi Gary,
Well it took some doing but I think I got it all removed. But now when I boot up my computer I get a box saying windows blocked some programs from starting up. I never had that happen before. And I,m not sure which programs it is referring to.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Peggy C
Old 01-28-2008, 10:42 PM   #4
TSF Team Emeritus

Hi again Peggy

It sounds like you used the longer version of the repair (the one in the quoted area) -- that version of the repair uses the tool "msconfig" (it's longer name is the "System Configuration Tool").

If you've removed Vongo, then it should be OK to use that same tool to return to a normal startup (right now, the message is letting you know that you are using a "Selective Startup" - which disables some items ... you'd disabled the Vongo ISUSPM.exe if you used the long repair).

To return to normal --
1) Click on the Vista Start button (the four-color flag icon)
2) In the Start Search box, type msconfig, and press Enter on your keyboard. This will start the System Configuration Tool.
3) Under the General tab, select Normal Startup, and click on OK.
4) Reboot, and see if things start normally.

That's all there is to it!

Enjoy your new computer!
. . . Gary
Old 01-29-2008, 05:47 PM   #5
Registered Member

Hi Gary,
Thanks for all your help. That worked just fine. Now just one more question if you don't mind. Should I do a restore point now that I have everything working the way I way I want it?
Many thanks,
Peggy C
Old 01-30-2008, 01:23 PM   #6
TSF Team Emeritus

Congratulations on your good work, Peggy.

Yes, creating a Restore point is an excellent idea.
Enjoy!
. . . Gary
Old 03-05-2010, 07:16 PM   #7
Registered Member

This is OldGrayCoburn :0. Thanks Gary your first answer items 1-5 worked great for me. No problem. I have a computer repair service and I forgot to shut down the service. Thank you for the reminder.