Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How to setup startup computer with 2 HDD and 2 different OS .

SOLVED 
6K views 61 replies 5 participants last post by  spunk.funk 
#1 ·
Hi everybody! I setup my secondary 1Tb HDD and installed windows 7 pro. Windows working fine. Now I need any advice how to setup on the WELCOM screen, after comp boot, select which drive I would like to open. Please help if it possible.
Thanks in advance!
val852

#2 ·
What two operating systems?
If it's a single drive and with two partitions, Most modern operating systems will detect the first OS and install a boot manager which will show up right after the post and before any welcome screen and provide a choice as well as a means to set the default OS.

If you use two drives, best way in my opinion is to install the first OS when you only have one drive hooked up in the computer. Then disconnect that drive and connect the 2nd and install the other OS.
When done, connect both drives, enter BIOS and set your default boot drive, then you can use the F12 key to select which one you want to boot to.

The advantage of the second method is that both drives are capable of booting without the other drive being installed, so if one breaks or gets corrupted you can normally boot into the other and attempt recovery.

#3 ·
As asked, what other OS are you talking about. If you have a second OS on a separate partition or HDD you would not see the second OS on the Welcome screen, you would get a Boot loader before Windows loads, asking which OS you wanted to boot into.
Try EasyBCD, this program allows you to add a secondary OS or more, whether it is a different version of Windows or Linux etc, once the other OS is loaded in it's boot loader, when you restart, it will give you the option of which OS to boot into.

#4 ·
Hello Spunk! Thanks for quick respond. My old HDD OS vista, I install EasyBCD. My second HDD windows 7 32 bit not registered yet. When I start comp with vista I have screen where I can select HDD. If I select windows 7 I gat: Windows boot manager screen with massage: recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, and so on… First ADVICE to repair with installation disc and recovery tool. Second: temporarily disable driver signature enforcement.
File: \Windows\system 32\winload.exe Status: 0xc0000428. What should I do now?
Val.

#5 ·
If you installed EasyBCD, did you add the Windows 7 installation to it's boot loader? If so, that would load first and give you the option to boot into Vista or 7/
The Geek Professor » Turn Off Driver Signing Enforcement in Windows 7
You can also try to boot into 7 and press the F8 key continuously. In the Advanced Boot Menu (ie) Safe Mode etc, scroll down to Disable Driver Signature Enforcement

#6 ·
W7 and vista both install their own boot managers, if both drives were connected it was installed, along with some boot files, on the primary hard drive. (as listed in bios)
Only way to boot by selecting a drive (as opposed to an OS) is if both drives have an independent OS install, otherwise need to boot into the drive listed as first in bios under boot order, which should provide the w7 boot manager (or vista depending on last installed OS)
Sata ports are numbered starting at 0 (zero) so lowest number is default boot drive

#7 ·
So, I did all I can: I tried all your suggestions to disable driver signature enforcement and no luck! I download EasyBCD2.3 but it has nothing to do with this problem. I tried to disable signature with CMD and it did not disable it either. I tried to find file winload.exe in system 32 and disable it, but I find file winload without extension .exe and didn’t touch it. Finally screen F8 key don’t help. Any other idea I deeply appreciated.

#8 ·
EasyBCD will not help solve the signature problem. That's not its job and you don't need it because the Windows boot manager on the Vista (active/boot) drive already contains both Vista and Windows Seven boot entries. Windows setup took care of the boot manager and included the newly installed OS in the boot configuration data store.

The advanced boot menu (F8) shows up for the selected boot menu entry. So, before you press F8, you first select the target operating system (Windows 7) from the OS selection menu and then press F8. The options that will show up in advanced boot menu will then apply to the Windows 7 installation only. Select the option to disable signature enforcement and press enter to boot Windows 7 with that option.

#9 ·
After all the work I’ve done to find a problem with “signature enforcement windows 7” it seems to me I did more harm to OS 7. In BIOS my first boot HDD vista, second HDD OS 7. Before all this changes I have boot screen with choices to start HDD vista or HDD with OS7. Now I don’t have this screen. Maybe I have to delete EasyBCD in vista HDD?

#10 ·
Ok, bring us up to speed on what the current situation is, and please stop trying things found elsewhere unless directed there from this thread. What happens now when you turn on the system? Does it boot straight into Vista without displaying the OS selection menu (the one you refer to boot screen with choices to start HDD vista or HDD with OS7)?

#18 ·
On the boot menu if I select windows 7 I have black screen with many options. “I have to fix computer”
File: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Info: Windows cannot veri fy the digital signature for this file.
This problem I use to have in the beginning when I install windows 7 on second HDD.

#20 ·
Sorry! I appreciated your patience! I am 77 years old and English is not my native languish. I have to use Word processor and dictionary. This way it takes to long respond on your reply.

It’s don’t help. When I select W7 and press F8 it returns to same screen!

#24 ·
If you are selecting W7 and it does not load 7 then there is an issue with the Windows 7 installation. I would boot off of your W7 DVD and choose Custom Install, Choose your secondary HDD (be sure to select the correct HDD) and go to Drive Options, here Delete all partitions on this HDD, then go next. Windows will create partitions and format them during the install. You may need to recreate the Windows 7 boot en try in Easy BCD

#25 ·
I am back! I downloaded ISO image file from trusted Microsoft site and burn to SD and 2more ISO files from others sites and download them on bootable USB stick. I compare size of files and all of them clause to 2.5GB. I did clean installation of each file and have the same problem. I did custom installation, delete any left partitions! The last one is from SD, not from USB flash stick. When comp start I have screen with selection: windows vista or w 7. First choice – vista and second is W 7. When I select W7 I have black screen with choices to fix comp . File: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Info: Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file.
F8 screen where possible temporarily disable signature enforcement don’t help. It returns to the same screen with same problem: to fix comp.
Any other idea deeply appreciated!!

#29 ·
OK!
Hello Spunk, Stancestans!! Maybe this startup screen gave you same idea!
When I push “Start button” on the comp first black screen with entry:

Copyright (c) 2003-2006 Intel Corporation
CONTROLLER Bus#00, Device#1F, Function#02: 04 Ports, 03 Devices
Port-00: Hard Disk, ST3250820AS (vista HDD)
(This drive is controlled by The Raid BIOS)
Port-01: CDROM, and so on….
Port- 04: Hard Disk, WDC WD10EZEX-00KUWA0 (W7 HDD)
(This drive is controlled by The Raid BIOS)
Port – 05: No device detected
AHCI BIOS installed
Intel (R) matrix Storage Manager Option ROM v6.0.o.1022 ICH8R
Copyright (C) 2003-06 Intel Corp. All Rights Reserved.

And after these disappear windows start downloads and this was normal startup.
About 3-4 manse ago, before I install second HDD, in this startup screen appears continuation:

RAID Volumes: None defined.
Physical Disks:
Port Drive Model Serial # Size Type/Status (Vol ID)
0 ST3250820AS 5QE3N11H 232.8GB Non-RAID Disk
4 WDC WD10EZEx-00K WD-WCC1S5864808 931.5GB Non-RAID Disk
Press <CTRL-I> to inter Configuration Utility…
Drive 5 not found: Serial ATA, SATA-5
Floppy diskette seek failure
Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility

I strike F1 key and windows vista starts download. 3-4 manse ago vista start download
automatically without strike F1 key !!!!

#30 ·
Ok! I disconnect HDD vista and startup comp. with second HDD 931.5 GB W 7 and I have the same
black screen with first part up to: ALL Right Reserved and second part:
Drive 0 not found: Serial ATA, SATA-0
Drive 5 not found: Serial ATA, SATA-5
Floppy diskette seek failure
Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility, Insert CD and shad down comp.
Start comp with BIOS and select to start from SD-DVD ROM. Now it starts loud files.
I select startup repair and it does not show any problems.

#31 ·
What is the make and model# of your computer?
Your HDD's are managed by the RAID utility. With both drives attached, start the computer and press the CTRL key + I when you see the message, to enter the RAID control panel. Here choose to remove all drives from the RAID array. Save and Exit.
Now Press F2 to boot into Setup (Bios) here look for HDD Mode or RAID, Using your Enter and Arrow keys, Change HDD mode from RAID to AHCI. Look for Floppy seek or anything to do with Floppy and Remove or Delete it. Go to the Boot Tab, set whichever HDD you want to boot first as First Boot Device. Set the next drive as Second boot device. Save and Exit. You may need to reinstall Windows 7 or Vista again. Use EasyBCD to manage the boot menu.

#33 ·
Now I open RAID control panel. There is Main menu with 1.Criate RAID Volume
2.Reset Disks to Non-RAID. And Box with Disk/Volume information. RAID VOLUM:
None defined. Physical Disks: Port Drive model 2 my disks....
There is no any option "remove all drives from the RAID array".

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.