Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

How to read HP FBW Back Up files from VISTA?

This is a discussion on How to read HP FBW Back Up files from VISTA? within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I backed up my daughters laptop as the system crashed. I used the HP recovery disk and followed there instruction

Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 07:13 PM   #1
Registered Member

I backed up my daughters laptop as the system crashed. I used the HP recovery disk and followed there instruction to back up all files. I did this to a external hardrive.
They are titles as a backup.2.FBW file.
How do I open this to get what stuff I want off of it, or is this a proprietery file system.
Windows Vista Home Premium. HP laptop

Old 10-27-2007, 01:05 AM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Visiting Expert

Hi Steve

Look on your external hard drive, and see if there is a folder "\MINWINPC\Backup Files" that includes the date of the backup. If yes, there should be an executable file within that folder that will start a "recovery manager" and allow you to begin a restore process. From what I've read on the subject, I believe in some cases that the executable is actually named Backup.001.exe ---- you may have to change an option in Vista's Window Explorer to see the file extensions: From the Windows Explorer Organize menu on the 'action bar', select Folder and Search Options and then select the View tab, and make sure to uncheck the option-box Hide extensions for known file types.

Backup folder naming conventions & leading zero fix:

drive-letter-of-external-drive:\MINWINPC\Backup Filesdate-of-backup \
- Backup.001
- Backup.002.fbw
- Backup.003.fbw
- Backup.004.fbw
. . . . .
NOTE: due to a flaw in the Hp recovery program, be sure to rename all the backup,nnn.fbw files from 010.fbw onward, adding another "0" infront of the filenames...
backup.010.fbw - becomes - backup.0010.fbw
backup.011.fbw - becomes - backup.0011.fbw
backup.012.fbw - becomes - backup.0012.fbw
and so on.
[thanks to troy at the tech republic forums for the 'extra leading zero' tip]

Assuming that the files can be read by your antivirus software, you likely will want to scan them for malware before restoring the data they hold.

Was the system crash malware-related?
. . . Gary

Old 10-27-2007, 01:25 AM   #3
Registered Member

I tired the fix on Vista and it would just not work. So, I opened it on my WXP Pro, and it worked fine.
COnsidering it took a few hours to back this data up, there wasnt anything I wanted, ie pictures etc. Where did they go?
Old 10-27-2007, 01:27 AM   #4
Registered Member

They system was operator error crashed. My daughter was holfing the power button down till it powered off. I think this corrupted something :(
3 months of this. she didnt know any better
Old 10-27-2007, 10:47 PM   #5
TSF Team Emeritus

Hi again

When you tried to restore the data from Vista, did the HP Recovery Manager not start at all? Were you unable to find the .exe in the folder?

If the Recovery Manager didn't start, did it return an error? You could also see if a related error shows up in Event Viewer (in Adminstrative Tools in the Vista Control Panel).

If the Recovery Manager did start, in what way did it fail to restore the data?

You mention that the Recovery Manager seems to have run OK from WinXP Pro -- if that worked on the same .fbw files, it seems they should have contained all the data saved it them (whether documents, pictures, video, spreadsheets -- any sort of data). Were things missing?

Did the laptop originally ship with XP & was later upgraded to Vista?

Seems that the backup should have worked, if the laptop shipped with Vista.
. . . Gary
Old 10-27-2007, 10:55 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGrayGary View Post
Hi again

When you tried to restore the data from Vista, did the HP Recovery Manager not start at all? Were you unable to find the .exe in the folder?

If the Recovery Manager didn't start, did it return an error? You could also see if a related error shows up in Event Viewer (in Adminstrative Tools in the Vista Control Panel).

If the Recovery Manager did start, in what way did it fail to restore the data?

You mention that the Recovery Manager seems to have run OK from WinXP Pro -- if that worked on the same .fbw files, it seems they should have contained all the data saved it them (whether documents, pictures, video, spreadsheets -- any sort of data). Were things missing?

Did the laptop originally ship with XP & was later upgraded to Vista?

Seems that the backup should have worked, if the laptop shipped with Vista.
. . . Gary
The HP recovery worked fine with the disks I made the day I bought the computer. The Vista OS system just wouldnt run the FBW backup, and I was clicking on the exe file.
But again, I have no idea why I cant see the files that were on the computer. There are no pics, no music. Nothing.
The laptop originaly came with Vista.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:38 AM   #7
TSF Team Emeritus

Hi again Steve

I'm still not clear where XP Pro fits in to your situation?

Is this time-line right? -->
1) The laptop came with Vista.
2) You used the HP Recovery procedure to
... a) backup data from the troubled system to your external hard drive, and then to
... b) restore your system using the original Recovery Disks.
3) You tried to double-click the .exe in the backup folder to start the Hp Recovery Manager, but that part of the procedure fails (and apparently fails without creating any error message on your screen).

If the creation of backups happened first, then all the data should be on them still. If the Hp recovery process was designed to run on Vista, and yet yours is not, perhaps we are just missing an instruction or step, or possibly a patch (if there was a bug in recovery routine itself). Check on the hp.com support pages for your model, and read as much detail as you can regarding restoring the backups. I would imagine that if a bug existed for that utility, it would show up in their FAQs pages, and they'd have a patch or workaround.

If the fault lies in an error when the program tries to start, there should be a detailed error message in your EventViewer logs. See if that is the case: navigate to the Administrative Tools in the Vista Control Panel, and open Event Viewer. Look for events that coincide with your attempts to run the .exe for recovering the backups. To view the details of an Event Viewer event, right-click the event, and select "Properties".

Let me know if this is the case = after trying the recovery process, you see folders where the pictures and music should be, but they are empty, or perhaps report that they contain zero bytes. If so, it's possible that you might need to "take ownership" of those folders, in order to view the contents.

Never a dull moment
. . . Gary
Old 10-29-2007, 08:38 AM   #8
Registered Member

Gary, I backed the files from the VISTA laptop to an external hardrive, suing the recovery disks I made for the Vista laptop the day I bought it. I had to use them because the Vista wouldnt boot all the way, so I had to reformat the laptop.
When done, the laptops Vista wouldnt open the back up files from the hardrive, or when I copied them to the laptop, the FBW files.
Anyways, I then hooked the external hardrive up to my desktop, which has WX PRO. I double clicked on the back up file and it proceeded to work and extract the files.
The HP support sux, and you guys here tell me far more than what they do, in a timely manner.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:34 AM   #9
TSF Team Emeritus

Hi again

Thanks for explaining --- I was thinking along those lines, but I like to be sure.

Well, it's good you had an XP machine around! It sounds to me like the "Hp Recovery Manager" software is having a few growing pains with Vista. I'd guess it might be related to the new User Account Controls (often abbreviated UAC). I've noticed that several programs that originated on XP have trouble with getting their messages to the screen in Vista. It's possible that if you tried the .exe in Vista from Safe Mode & logged in as Administrator (sometimes even right-clicking the executable and choosing "run as administrator"), it might work. If it doesn't work even then - it looks like Hp needs to work on a patch or revised version.

You may want to alert the Hp folks, just so that they know they've got something to fix. I usually leave a quick email, since it's the fastest way.

Glad you were able to get the pics & music back, even though you had to do it the hard way.
. . . Gary
Old 10-29-2007, 05:08 PM   #10
Registered Member

I will try the safe mode and see what happens. I tired the UAC on and off and it didnt change any. We'll see when the safe mode is tried. Thanks, and I will alert HP.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:24 AM   #11
Registered Member

I found the solution! If you read the small print on the recovery disk instructions, you are supposed to back up your data on a CD or DVD. I didn't read this and backed mine up on an external hard drive. Bad move. I wasn't able to restore my files.

Now I have the fix. First, copy EACH of the files onto its own DVD. (don't try to fit 2 onto a DL dvd--it won't work--I tried that). Copying these huge backup files (~3.5GB each)is very time-consuming, but it's the only way to get your files restored. So now you have one disk for each of the files in your backup folder (I had nine disks-my files ranged from backup.001.fbw to .009)

Next, reboot your computer in Safe Mode (continually click on the f8 key until the menu appears so you can make that selection as your computer is rebooting). Once Windows has started in Safe Mode, put in the DVD containing the first file--the one called backup.001.exe. Open "my computer" and double click on the file to start it. The recovery manager panel appears, and your DVD is ejected. You're then asked to put in your last disk. (mine was backup.009.fbw. Yours may be different.) The "NEXT" button on the recovery manager panel will activate. Click it, and you're on your way! You'll be prompted for each of your disks in descending order.

I spent about 6 hours total with HP support, and no one was able to help me. I figured this out on my own, I hope it works for you!
Old 11-16-2007, 01:40 PM   #12
TSF Team Emeritus

Hi all -

alslush -- Thank you for sharing your resolution to the problem. Perhaps you could forward your repair steps to Hp support, so that they can test to see if it's consistent across various models (then they could post those instructions on their support site).

Quote:
I figured this out on my own
... I think that is perhaps the very best way to find out with complete certainty that a repair works!

Congratulations on your good work!
. . . Gary

(It looks as if there are now two or three workarounds to be alert for in the Hp recovery setup -- 1) that non dual-layer DVDs or CDs must be used -- 2) that it's possible to recover things from an external hard drive if an XP PC is recruited for the task 3) that renaming the backup files by adding an extra leading zero is necessary for any backup files higher than 010. All of this really needs to be made clear by HP on their website. Let's hope this information, or at least a patched version of their Recovery process, is available there soon).
Old 11-16-2007, 02:45 PM   #13
Registered Member

I was in a support chat conference this afternoon with HP Support, and I explained the whole process. They are going to forward it on to the powers-that-be.
Just a note--in Vista, the most important thing to remember is to run the restore operation from SAFE MODE or Vista will hang and the program will stall out completely. It's probably something to do with the UAC, but I'm not sure. I just finished successfully restoring 30+ GB of precious photos and documents. I am one happy camper!
Old 01-08-2008, 01:17 PM   #14
Registered Member

Guys I am stuck on this very same issue, my M7760n dumped the other day no matter what I did vista home premium would not let me retore to an earlier date and wouldn't find and fix it on it's own, tried everything, so last resort was to pull out the restore discs I made on day one.

At that point I did choose backup my main files (pics music etc) 15 gigs worth it found apparently, had that dump to a usb external hard drive.

Restored pc with the discs all seems good at this point however i couldn't click and get the exe of my backup files to run and give me back those files!

I hit google found this thread, tried moving the external drive files over to my laptop (xp home version) dumped the folder to desktop on that machine, yet when I hit the exe it asks for the "last disc" does that mean the last restore disc from HP?

Or am I supposed to burn each of these files to a disc and insert those backwards 004, 003, 002, 001 order?

I so want to get these files back but am so not tech savy when it comes to this kinda stuff, obviously with 15 gig worth of files it found something, please help guide me how to get it back fully...

Bill :)
Old 01-08-2008, 01:28 PM   #15
Registered Member

I just figured out what I was doing wrong after re reading all these threads and help info, I wasn't getting anywhere with trying to restore them on my vista machine, but I moved the files over to my xp machine I still wasn't getting anywhere ;(

I had added the extra 0 as mentioned above - but apparently I didn't need to cuz my files were only 4 units not over 10 as the 0 is required for... so I caused my own grief there...

Original file names were
backup.exe
backup.001
backup.002
backup.003

I had added the 0's .0001, .0002 etc etc
and the restore program wasnt seeing them properly, telling me to insert the last disc etc.

BUT when I renamed them back to original .001 etc
and moved the files via usb external drive over to my windows xp machine, and clicked the exe one last time here, it seems to have found and started the long process of (hopefully) bringing those files back for me, to the c/system restore files folder it says...32% and climbing as i type here...

Man i hope I get my stuff back here fully, at least pics and docs, time for me to learn the important lesson of backing up ALOT more often.....

Thanks to everyone here who has asked and helped on this subject as HP's site info and searching along with the HP advisor tool were both not any help at all...

Crossing Fingers this goes to 100% and works!

Bill ;)
Old 01-08-2008, 04:01 PM   #16
Registered Member

UUGHH spoke too soon,

Got to about the 35% mark and it now says insert disc 2, well there is no disc 2 its a file .002.fbw but apparently it doesn't see or recognize it even tho I renamed it back to its original name ;(

Should I burn each of these backup files to dvdr then insert them like it asks disc by disc?

Would I just burn them as closed (finalized) data discs?

Bill
Old 01-08-2008, 05:38 PM   #17
Registered Member

Well I took 4 discs and burned each of the files to a dvdr as a read only finalized disc, then on the xp computer (vista pc wont start the exe) i started the recovery manager, it went to about 35% then asks for disc 2, so i put in the .002 disc but the program does nothing (doesn't seem to recognize the disc content and proceed).

I have to be close here, anyone?

Bill :(
Old 01-09-2008, 08:26 AM   #18
Registered Member

FINALLY got it working today, ended up needing to burn each disc as bootable vs data disc, the hp recovery software wasn't detecting the discs in standard data disc format, but once I reburned (didnt change file names) each of the 4 discs as bootable file discs the hp program finally recognized and allowed each one to progress and finish :)

Put these notes here for the next guy searching google or having this same hp backup restore issue, just wish HP was better at helping on this...

Bill
Old 01-09-2008, 09:28 AM   #19
TSF Team Emeritus

Hi Bill

Sorry I didn't see your posts earlier, but glad you worked things out & shared your procedure with us.

I've suggested to a couple of the members with this recovery procedure issue that they contact Hp, so that Hp can get something worthwhile onto their support site to help fix this. It's pretty bad when its customers are each individually having to re-invent the wheel.

Your solution was clever - nice work!
And thanks again for letting us know -
. . . Gary
Old 03-01-2008, 07:49 PM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
I backed up my daughters laptop as the system crashed. I used the HP recovery disk and followed there instruction to back up all files. I did this to a external hardrive.
They are titles as a backup.2.FBW file.
How do I open this to get what stuff I want off of it, or is this a proprietery file system.
Windows Vista Home Premium. HP laptop

After several hours of frustration with HP with the result being the HP Tech said the problem must be with my 2 gb usb and 40 gb external usb drives, I came across this forum and registered to share that what I read in this forum is correct and to say THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.

RESTORE HP VISTA RECOVERY BACKUPS WITH XP

I don't know about the zero thing but I simply copied the "minwinpc" folder from the external drives to my xp desktop (both pro and home worked with me) and opened the "Backup Files 2008-02-28 171307" folder which contained: Backup.1.exe and Backup.2.fbw. I clicked on the Backup.1.exe and the files I backed up restored to a folder called "System Recovery Files" in the root directory of my hard drive.