Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

How do i Merge a free space partition to my Primary C drive partition? IN VISTA

This is a discussion on How do i Merge a free space partition to my Primary C drive partition? IN VISTA within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm not too sure what to do as of now, the free partition that is worth 66gb is just there.

Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 06:37 PM   #1
Registered Member

I'm not too sure what to do as of now, the free partition that is worth 66gb is just there. I right clicked my Primary Cdrive partition to try extend it but it was greyed out and so i couldnt merge the two..

Help is greatly appreciated!

Old 07-14-2011, 03:22 AM   #2
Enthusiast

You can't modify the partition that has Windows installed on it because doing so would destroy your Windows installation.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:31 AM   #3
TSF Articles Team

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium (SP1) and Ubuntu 12.10 [Dual-Boot]

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip22 View Post
You can't modify the partition that has Windows installed on it because doing so would destroy your Windows installation.
You can modify the drive/partition with windows installed as long as you don't mave any windows files to another drive in the process -as a rule, keep all inmportant files in the C: drive.

Try using an alternate OS known as Parted Magic. To use it you will need a blank CD or DVD and a disk burner though. write the disk image to the disk and then reboot your PC from the disk. It may be able to edit your partitions.

Parted Magic - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Downloads

I have used it and it is a very user friendly layout.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:33 AM   #4
Visiting Expert | Microsoft Support Team

Or you can just make the drives Dynamic in the Disk management. Then you can shrink/combine partitions and harddrives. This only works on Vista Enterprise/Ultimate editions. If you don't have either of these, you'll have to rely on a 3rd party applications as GreenLightPC mentioned.

Always make a proper backup before messing around with any HDD changes!

Microsoft Certified Professional[/SIZE]
Old 08-15-2011, 11:21 PM   #5
Registered Member

get a partition tool to help, and this merging problem can be easily solved.
here's a recommended free tool, easy-to-use and reliable - Partition Manager Freeware for Windows - EaseUS Partition Master Home Edition