Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

how do i make new system the same as old one

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  BIGBEARJEDI 
#1 ·
I was given a new pc with 16g ram and a 1 tb h7200 hdd with window 7, professional. my old machine is a hp pavilion running windows ultimate. it runs 4gb mem with a 500gb hdd.. I want to move all my files and programs to new machine so that it looks like the old one but all my installed software works. I have tried to make a image using backup on the windows ultimate by using a usb wd 1tb external hdd. I get backup completed successfully. when I restart my new machine and try to install the image I get mem error and programs terminates. any ideas how I can solve this. thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Hi Texas,

Here's your problem. The original Windows7 Ultimate image is tied to a snapshot of the EXACT hardware within your HP pavillion computer. It is NOT possible to move that over to a different Make computer or even the same Make computer but a different model computer and have the BIOS recognize the hardware on that new PC!:nono:

It's as simple as that. The only way your Clone image would work on a new PC would be if you purchased a 2nd HP pavillion PC, say a model 1405gn, and your original PC was ALSO a 1405gn. Both new and old PC would have to have the EXACT same Motherboard AND the exact same version of the BIOS.

What you can do, as piece-meal alternative solution, is use the Windows7 BACKUP AND TRANSFER WIZARD to copy all the User data and desktop settings (Wallpaper, Screensaver, etc.) to a set of files onto a usb external hard drive, cd/dvd disc(s), or to a flash drive. Once the Wizard has produced the files onto your external media, you can hand walk it ("sneakernet") the media over to the new PC and run the Wizard again in the restore direction, and it will copy everything back over to the new PC.:smile: However, you will have to REINSTALL all the old programs you were running on your original PC from either original Media or re-download them from locations on the Internet you got them from *either free or fee* all over again. :cry:This is a huge pain;:facepalm: and I have customers running on 10 year old PCs who installed over 400 programs on their old PCs and now have to reinstall all those 400 programs from scratch, and reintegrate with the data restored back over to the new PC via the BACKUP AND TRANSFER WIZARD. Not a simple process, and not a joy to perform I can assure you.:ermm:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news on this; but now at least you know why your Clone image failed on the new PC!:nonono:

You may wish to take both your old PC and your new PC into your local licensed Computer Pro and pay him to do this rather arduous task for you. Comprehensive Data transfers and data migration would cost from $40-$130 US or so, should you wish to avoid the headaches involved. FWIW.

Best of luck to you,
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

#3 ·
If you have 2 different PC's with OEM Windows installations you are not allowed to move the one system to the other since this voids the warranty firstly and the GUI agreement with Miicrosoft secondly.

the only legal way you are allowed to do this is to use Microsofts transfer tools to back up and transfer your installed files from one PC to the other

Windows Easy Transfer - Microsoft Windows

#4 ·
Windows Easy Transfer is the easiest thing to do, but you also can drag and drop or copy your files to a USB HDD or Flash Drive then plug that it into the new computer and drag them over or Paste to the appropriate location. You cannot copy programs, these will have to be reinstalled.

#6 ·
I don't know either of them .. laplink reminds me of something Norton used to have for file tramsfer between PC's many years back but have no idea if it's the same program .. back then it was JUST for transfer of files not for transferring operating systems since you need the operating system in order to run the program.

#8 ·
Laplink is a Crossover cable that transfers files from one computer to another.
You cannot copy Programs, they have to be reinstalled. You can copy personal Files, like Pictures, Music, Documents, Videos. You can use the built in Windows Easy Transfer - Microsoft Windows
Or you can drag and drop your User files to a USB Flash Drive or HDD then attach it to the new computer drag them back to the new computers User folder. It can't get much easier. You will have to reinstall Programs, no matter what software you use to backup and restore your computer.

#9 ·
DF & Spunk are correct. These programs you mention are for moving only DATA only, not programs.:nono: Laplink has been around for 20 years and does a fine job for that. Zinstall is something new; never heard of it and has no reputation in the industry.:ermm: PCMover I've seen advertised in the computer stores and several others, they claim to be able to move over ALL your stuff, including preinstalled programs like MS Office, Adobe CS Elements, Photoshop, iTunes, etc. Many people claim this works, and then once they use the program and attempt to open and run the program on their new computer, it doesn't work.:facepalm:

They then bring me their computer and ask me to do it. They said they spent bunches of money on programs to do what PCmover and others claim to do but don't work. And how do they get their money back, etc.?:frown:

It's pretty easy, they pay me to reinstall their programs from Disc media they purchased in retail boxes or a list of websites that contain downloadable free or fee programs they want reinstalled onto the new computer.:smile:

As mentioned to you, the programs you had installed on your original PC are tied to the BIOS/Motherboard internal hardware of THAT computer. They cannot be transferred to another computer due to licensing issues.:nono:

Stop listening to people you are talking to who don't do this for a living, and trying to Google for a solution that doesn't exist!! *while you're at it why don't you Google for Peace On Earth by next week; I'm sure you can find it!*. Sorry to tell you there's no shortcut around this. :nonono:

Copy your data over to the new Computer with one of the methods we told you about. Then make the choice to reinstall all your old programs you were using on the old PC yourself, or pay a competent licensed Computer Pro to do for you. Usually, this can be done for $35-$125 US.

Remember, Chain computer stores will charge the high end of this range, and independent Techs will be on the low end of the range. They don't have to keep the lights on at 1,500 stores.

Good luck,
<<<BBJ>>>

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.