Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

how do I add an xp installation to my pc, which is currently running windows 7.

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Rich-M 
#1 ·
Hi.
I have been using windows 7 for 5-6 months now and have decided I don't like it much. I have decided to revert to xp, but would like to keep the win 7 in tact still on the machine and choose which system to boot up from.

How should I assemble together the drivers which xp will need from the existing installation?

Is it then easy enough to install these on to the xp system?

how do I create the second operating system on my pc, which will allow me to boot from either?

Will I be able to access the files which are on my win7 installation from the new xp installation?

Are there any other considerations i should be aware of ?

#3 ·
First, you need to ensure that your system can support XP by checking the manufacturer of your machine to see if drivers are supported. Chipset drivers, video, Ethernet, Networking, etc..

Secondly, you need to be warned that using a Windows XP machine is NOT recommended due to the large security risk that comes with it. Windows XP is no longer supported and you will NOT be receiving any new security patches from Microsoft or other companies for huge security risk programs like Java and soon to be Flash.

Please note that Windows 7 can be made to act and even look just like Windows XP.

Once you've agreed to move to a 10+ year old operating system, you first need to acquire a Windows XP installation CD.

If you only have one hard drive, you will need to partition the drive into to sections. One to keep the Windows 7, the other to store XP.

During the Windows XP installation you would select the empty partition and install Windows XP like normal.

#5 ·
Thanks for the comments. It looks like I can't install xp as the machine doesn't support it. I have another problem which prevents me from using xp mode, so I will post another thread regarding my other issues and try xp mode when the issues are resolved.

#6 ·
You are much better off as when XP first went out of support I had some users who were able to run it but now I am getting more and more calls from people with systems that I really don't advise fixing as there are just too many issues with it. Let it "rest in peace".

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.