Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

How can I change the programs and files to their original format?

This is a discussion on How can I change the programs and files to their original format? within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Suddenly all my programs and files changed into MS word document format, How can I change back to their original

Old 05-28-2013, 12:21 AM   #1
Registered Member

Suddenly all my programs and files changed into MS word document format, How can I change back to their original format.

Please try to reply soon when you see this message, Thank you in advance.

I hope you understand my question.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:23 AM   #2
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

If you have not done anything that would cause the change I would suspect malware follow the steps here> NEW INSTRUCTIONS - Read This Before Posting For Malware Removal Help - Tech Support Forum
Changing the program associations back is a lengthy process as you have to reset each one individually you'll want to ensure it's malware free first.

Wrench97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:48 AM   #3
Registered Member

I read the instruction but that will not help,

Let me explain you the original issue, I was trying to open the deleted video file which is no more on my computer but i got the video file from the start menu search, when I click on that file, it asked me to select the check boxes and I selected the checkbox then all files turned into VLC format, I was trying to change the files to their original format, I opened one of the files from my computer by selecting open with ms word then all my files turned into ms word and if you open file with any format, it is defaulty selecting all the files.

Please check the screen shots which i have attached to this reply, please do help soon, I understand there will be so many waiting for help. THank you in advance.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf screen shot of files and programs.pdf (250.4 KB, 35 views)
Old 05-28-2013, 03:39 AM   #4
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

In that case you did do something to change them, see this article here> Default File Type Associations - Restore - Windows 7 Help Forums
Wrench97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:40 AM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Go to Control Panel/Default Programs/Set Default Programs click on a program on the left and choose which program you want to open that particular program with.
You can also right click a program/Properties and choose Open With, choose the default program and make sure the check box for Always use the selected program to open this type of file.
spunk.funk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:50 AM   #6
Registered Member

@Wrench97, I went to the link and downloaded the extension files, there are 105 files and I merged all the extension files and restart the computer then it is back to normal, that worked for me but it took so long time to merge all the extensions. Anyway Thank you for your assistance, I have question before we windup this thread, The extension files that I have merged are secure? Please let me know if there is any need of precautions neccessary?
Old 05-28-2013, 05:54 AM   #7
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.

Hi, yes it appears you have corrupted your file assoc, most likely the .lnk assoc, the link from Wrench does have registry fixes and for the most they work (good job Shawn), so I see no harm in using it. To make it easier, click the attached .zip file it will return a Default_ Lnk.reg file, double click this and agree to add to registry. Restart computer. let us know how you get on.

lnk.zip

jenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:12 AM   #8
- Microsoft Support

Oh dear, you have merged the lot!! Well for the most they are defaults you only needed to do the one .lnk, not all. I have never tested this on an existing install. From a security perspective you would be safe, just how your integration will work, well it's a good experiment. I would back up all data just in case, however if the system has booted and all is running well then we will see.

I suppose the lesson here is we need to be more careful in our responses, though if you read the information on the site , it talks about using the .assoc fix for your problem, it is just assumed no one would do the lot...

Old 05-28-2013, 06:19 AM   #9
Registered Member

Hi Jenae, Thank you for your response, I just went blind and downloaded the extension file types and merged all 105 extension type files and restarted the computer and it worked, that is great. Is there any issue if I merge all the extensions? Is it secure?
Old 05-28-2013, 06:21 AM   #10
Registered Member

It is back to normal, Should I do anything now?
Old 05-28-2013, 06:36 AM   #11
- Microsoft Support

Hi, well as part of good computer practice you should keep a backup of your data, you need to pay more attention, in my post#8 I told you from a security perspective you should be OK, and as these restore defaults, the system as you have discovered is OK. My advice, do the backup and see what happens, I suspect you will be OK.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:18 AM   #12
Registered Member

@jenae What I can find with my backup file? Let me try and see, What happens?
My entire concern is needed to have a security for my data, That is it. There should not be any access to my data. Thank you for responding.