Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

HDMI Cable Not Being Recognized, Previously Worked Fine

This is a discussion on HDMI Cable Not Being Recognized, Previously Worked Fine within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I use my HD TV as a monitor. I do this by connecting an HDMI cable to my television.

Closed Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 09:30 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, I use my HD TV as a monitor. I do this by connecting an HDMI cable to my television. I've done this without a problem for almost 6 months. Yesterday, My Mom had to bring my laptop to school and she left the hdmi cable plugged into my laptop. I didn't think it would be a problem but when I got home the HDMI cable no longer registers as connected to my laptop. My television knows the cable is plugged in but not to what so I get no picture. My laptop makes no indication whatsoever that I'm plugging or unplugging my cable.

Anything I can do about this? I'm not sure if there's a way I can like reinstall the actual port or anything. Never had a problem like this before.

Things I've Tried vvv
Not too much, I restarted, and experimented with other HDMI cables and other ports on my tv. Only have one HDMI port on my laptop.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:10 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Maybe do a system restore to an earlier date when the
hdmi cable was working. Maybe some drivers or software got installed after
which is now causing this problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flippygonetripp View Post
Hi, I use my HD TV as a monitor. I do this by connecting an HDMI cable to my television. I've done this without a problem for almost 6 months. Yesterday, My Mom had to bring my laptop to school and she left the hdmi cable plugged into my laptop. I didn't think it would be a problem but when I got home the HDMI cable no longer registers as connected to my laptop. My television knows the cable is plugged in but not to what so I get no picture. My laptop makes no indication whatsoever that I'm plugging or unplugging my cable.

Anything I can do about this? I'm not sure if there's a way I can like reinstall the actual port or anything. Never had a problem like this before.

Things I've Tried vvv
Not too much, I restarted, and experimented with other HDMI cables and other ports on my tv. Only have one HDMI port on my laptop.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:29 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhong View Post
Maybe do a system restore to an earlier date when the
hdmi cable was working. Maybe some drivers or software got installed after
which is now causing this problem.
Nope :S Just tried it and still not working. Thanks though
Old 02-29-2012, 11:51 AM   #4
- Microsoft Support

OS: Windows 8.1 64bit/Ubuntu 14 LTS 64bit via Vm Player

My System

Perhaps she damaged the HDMI port when leaving the HDMI cable plugged moving the laptop around.

Virus Help
Ubuntu Live CD
PC Running Slow?
Memtest
UBCD
Remember dust buildup in your PC can be a killer!!
Old 02-29-2012, 03:23 PM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

What is the Display Adapter software on your laptop? Open your Video/Display software either by double clicking the Icon in your system tray or by clicking the Icon in your Control Panel. Go to Monitors and choose External Monitor or TV.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:28 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
What is the Display Adapter software on your laptop? Open your Video/Display software either by double clicking the Icon in your system tray or by clicking the Icon in your ws ntrol Panel.[/B] Go to Monitors and choose External Monitor or TV.
Intel. I didn't have any options for external monitors though; it only shows my laptop display
Old 02-29-2012, 07:29 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer_24 View Post
Perhaps she damaged the HDMI port when leaving the HDMI cable plugged moving the laptop around.
What I thought, which is why I was wondering if theres a way to reinstall/configure the actual HDMI port. I'm sure its not a software issue because it worked before.

I know you can reinstall USB ports :S
Old 03-01-2012, 03:04 AM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Go into the Device Manager and see if there is a yellow mark next to it, it may need a driver update.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:19 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
Go into the Device Manager and see if there is a yellow mark next to it, it may need a driver update.
There isn't :S im assuming it's the Intel ones under Universal Serial Bus Controllers? I don't see any yellow marks though
Old 03-02-2012, 02:23 PM   #10
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

What is the make and model # of your laptop? Go to the manufacturers support/download drivers site type in your service tag# or your make and model# and download the Video Driver for your computer model. Restart the computer and plug in the HDMI cable with the Device Manager open, see if it registers. If not, the port or the cable may have become damaged.

Closed Thread