Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] Harddrives Disappeared...

984 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  spunk.funk 
#1 · (Edited)
Greetings TSF,

System: Windows 7 x64

I have 4 Harddrives running on my desktop and suddenly 2 of them disappeared during my restart.

Drive 1 (C:) is my main strictly OS SSD drive.
Drive 2 (D:) is my 2TB music and movie drive.
Drive 3 (E:) is my 500GB storage and downloads.
Drive 4 (F:) is my 36GB Gaming drive, there's only one game on it.

So Drive 2 and 4 disappeared...

I went to Disk Management and only Drive 2 is detected (it's there but named as 'System Reserved') but needs a drive path assigned which I did BUT when I accessed the drive itself it shows empty. By the looks of it, it shows that the drive is 40% used just like the last time I checked so the files can't have all been destroyed or deleted. It's there but I can't access or see them.

Drive 4... I don't know what happened to it. It doesn't show.

Anyone's help is greatly appreciated.

Jon.

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Harddrives Disappeared...

In Disk Management if for instance - in the lower window the partition lettered C is on the entry Disk 0 - then the system reserved partition is usually also on Disk 0 and as you say is not allocated a letter.

Please see my screenshot and when you reply could you please confirm that D, E and F lettered allocations are actual disks, as against partitions on a disk

That distinction is obvious in the lower window of Disk Management
Additionally are any of these connected externally

A screenshot of your disk management would I think be helpful

Attachments

#3 ·

First boot into Setup (Bios) on the main page, are all of the HDD's showing here by manufacturer model#? If not, check the cables, re-seat the SATA cable, to the drive and to the motherboard. Use a different power plug from the PSU.
If the drives are showing up, then go to Hard Drive Boot order,(not the Boot tab) make sure all the drives are listed here as well and that the SATA ports are not disabled.
If they are listed in the Bios but not in Disk Management, please attach a Screenshot of the bottom panel of Disk Management fully expanded with all the drives listed in your next post.

#4 ·

Hey guys,

Thanks for taking the time to help!

I finally got all my missing drives working again. So basically I turned off the power supply, opened up the system, unplugged all USB devices, disconnected then reconnected the SATA connections and VOILA! Everything came back on. I believe I plugged in too many USB devices and it may have screwed with the power up. It's happened before but rarely. Probably need a stronger power supply... Thanks again!

#5 · (Edited)
Probably need a stronger power supply
Shut down the computer take the side off and read the label for the Power Supply Unit. What is the output Wattage?: With 4 HDD's and several USB devices, you need a bare minimum of 550W PSU, more wattage if you have a video card and can afford it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.