Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hard Drive only showing 140 of 320gb.

4K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  tobias2491 
#1 ·
I recently bought an internal hard drive (A Samsung HM320HJ) for my Toshiba Satellite A...300 I think? Anyway, I used Macrium reflect to clone my old drive to my new one. When I put the new hard drive in, everything works, but when I got to My Computer, it shows the drive as only having a 140gb capacity. I'm not sure what to go by, because in Macrium Reflect it still says that my new hard drive is 320gb. Why is my computer displaying it as a 140gb hard drive, and how do I fix it?

#2 ·
what does diskmanagement show? right click my computer or computer, click on manage, click on disk managment. It should show the drive in the right column. Are there any other partitions

#5 ·
There is a partition just to the Right of the C: drive which is 7.22Gb without a Drive letter. Move any files that are in this partition to a different drive. Now right click the 7.22 GB partition and Delete Volume. Now all the space of the rest of the drive should be Unallocated. Right click the Unallocated Space and Create a new Simple Volume. Format the Volume NTFS. Or, you can Right click your C: drive Extend it into the Unallocated space taking up the whole length of the drive. If you only want one partition.

#7 ·
You Do NOT want to make this volume a Dynamic disc. You have to Right click the 7.22 GB Volume on Disk 1 and Delete it. Be sure to move any files that are in this drive to another drive on the computer. This should also delete the volume called Free Space. Once the space to the Right of the F: drive turns into Unallocated Space, then right click the F: drive and choose Extend Volume. and Extend it into the Unallocated Space. If you want to Extend the C: drive Disk 0, you can do the same for the 7.22GB drive to the Right of the C: drive and then Extend C: into the Unallocated Space.

#10 ·
Thank you all so much!!! I got it looking right now! You all are amazing, and I really appreciate your help.

I just have one more question. Now when this hd is in, whenever I start my computer and get to my desktop, it tells me that it needs to find hardware for a new drive. I click locate and install (I think thats what the option says. If not its something to that effect.) The computer searches, and usually comes back with hardware not found. But, if I have my old drive plugged in via usb it will say that the hardware was found but it was unable to download/install. Know what that's about?

#11 ·
This doesn't sound like it is for this USB drive. There are no drivers required for USB. Unplug the USB cable from the computer end and restart your computer.
If you get the new hardware found, and it fails. Then go to Start/Search and type devmgmt.msc Right click the devmgmt in the search results and Run as Administrator. In Device Manager, what hardware device has a yellow mark?

#12 ·
Omfg..... Ok. So my comp hust did a complete 180°. When i went to go restart my comp, it will not start up. It says tgere was an error when starting. When i click repair it says tgat its missing a boot disk (my comp came with no discs). But if i plug in my old hardrive via usb, it will go through the recovery process. However, afterwards it still won't start up. -_- Idk whats wrong. I just wanted to upgrade my hard drive.

#13 ·
If you can get your computer to start with the old HDD attached, Press F8 at bootup and try Safe Mode and see if that works. If you can get into Safe Mode, then Go to Start/Search and type CMD Right click the CMD icon and Run As Administrator. In the Command Prompt type chkdsk C: /R and press enter. Then press a Y for Yes.
Or if you can get your hands on a Vista DVD, boot off of that and choose your language and choose Repair Your Computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.