Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

Google doesn't work on my laptop.

This is a discussion on Google doesn't work on my laptop. within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. On my laptop (inspiron 1521) Google does not work I do not know why but i went to the CMD

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 10:38 AM   #1
Registered Member

On my laptop (inspiron 1521) Google does not work I do not know why but i went to the CMD on my laptop typed in Ping www.google.com and here is what i got:

Pinging www.google.com [64.34.212.70] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 64.34.212.70:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 <100% loss>

Old 08-28-2011, 12:49 PM   #2
Registered Member

If you Google the IP, 64.34.212.70, you'll see tonnes of results where people have had viruses.

There is a file called "HOSTS" on your computer, and a virus has posted that IP there.

You need to Notepad, right-click and choose "Run as Administrator". Go to File > open and enter "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts".

It should look like the below. If there are any UNHASHED entries then remove the whole line. Then close notepad, and be sure to save. Restart your PC and Google should work.

I would run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware when you have finished and ensure you have an updated anti-virus program to ensure that there are no nasties on your computer!

Code:
# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
#	127.0.0.1       localhost
#	::1             localhost