Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

forgot password on dell computer

This is a discussion on forgot password on dell computer within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I forgot my password and I want to upgrade my OS from vista to windows 7. I have a dell

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 09:51 PM   #1
Registered Member

I forgot my password and I want to upgrade my OS from vista to windows 7. I have a dell desktop and can't log in. I can't seem to upload the new system from startup. What do I need to do?

Old 04-13-2012, 04:49 AM   #2
Windows Tech Team

Do you have a password reset disc around? Or perhaps another administrator account on the system?

You could 'restore your system to factory defaults' if it comes with a recovery partition or similar, but of course this means you will lose all your data and programs installed currently.

You say you have tried booting from the disc on startup, did you edit the BIOS settings? Are you sure you have a bootable upgrade disc?

I am not sure if upgrading removes your password, if it doesn't, you'll still have the same problem.

You may have a hidden administrator account you could access, to reset passwords. Try booting your system in safe mode (press F8 then select safe mode), select the administrator account, it may have no password by default (if it is enabled and if it hasn't been altered).

Old 04-13-2012, 05:43 AM   #3
- Microsoft Support

OS: Windows 8.1 64bit/Ubuntu 14 LTS 64bit via Vm Player

My System

We can not assist you with forgotten passwords.

Please refer to the forum rules here. http://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...ork&page=rules

Thread closed.

Virus Help
Ubuntu Live CD
PC Running Slow?
Memtest
UBCD
Remember dust buildup in your PC can be a killer!!
Old 04-13-2012, 12:34 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

If you are just upgrading your computer from Vista to Windows 7 you do not need to log in. Just boot off of the Windows 7 DVD and choose Upgrade.
Closed Thread