Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

Folder permissions..

This is a discussion on Folder permissions.. within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Does anyone know if there is a way to edit multiple folder/file permissions at once in Vista Ultimate? It was

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 06:21 PM   #1
Happy to support TSF!

My System

Does anyone know if there is a way to edit multiple folder/file permissions at once in Vista Ultimate? It was very straight forward in XP so I can't understand why MS have decided to make things difficult??

I'm aware i'm still able to take ownership of multiple files/folders/drives at the same time but it's a huge pain to then change individual file permissions.

Any help would be cool...or if someone knows of any software which can do the job, that would be appreciated too.

Thanks..

Old 04-27-2007, 11:47 AM   #2
Registered Member

Yeah, you edit the parent directories permissions, ie as close to the root as you can, and make sure the option to apply to all sub folders is checked... Edit the ownership of the parent directory first, make yourself the owner, and then change the permissions.

Make sure u take off the read only toggle first though (apply this to all sub directories too), not quite sure why but it seems to make a difference.

That will change some of the folders... some of them will still say access denied, so you have to go into their permsisions and make sure they inheret the permsisiosn from the parent folder... that will shave off a few more permission denials...

BUT alas, I still havent managed to get rid of ALL denials yet, there is still some folders that I just cant seem to get access to, even if I am delcared as the owner.

Hope this helps a bit

Old 04-27-2007, 07:32 PM   #3
Happy to support TSF!

My System

Hi roadsweeper..

thanks for the reply but unless i'm missing something, I can't see how that will enable me to change multiple specific folder/file permissions at the same time. The Security tab is only present when editing the permissions of single items...unlike XP where I can highlight as much as I'd like then set specific access control permissions to different users at the same time.

I have tried removing any read-only attributes but the Security tab fails to appear for multiple items...even though all my hard drive partitions and all their contents are 'owned' by me. The same applies at the root of any partition...but as far as I can tell inherited permissions are still being applied.

Apologies if I have missed something...it's kinda late and i should be getting to bed...have attached a couple of screenshots to show you what I mean.

This image shows no Security tab on the Properties menu when I select multiple folders..note the cleared read-only check box:

This picture shows the Security tab is present from Properties when only one folder is selected:

Thanks again for replying

p.s - I'm not worried about any access denied errors from the OS partition as they were easy to solve by booting into XP and setting the owner to administrators and applying permissions to those files while Vista was not loaded. There are lots of folders and files on my PC which I would like to restrict access to my daughter to as she would happily cause mayhem if she could run certain scripts and backup files. Unfortunately, i'm unable to do those tasks from XP due to the SID's.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:21 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to TheMatt

Hi Nick,

Have you tried just setting the permissions of the parent folder or root drive? That should apply the security settings to all the subfolders and files if you have this option selected:

I have used my Back-up partition as an example in that screenshot, but it will be the same for folders.

You can also do the parent folder, and select "Sub-folders and files only" instead of what I had chosen. That will only affect its contents and not the actual folder itself. It should be more towards what your goal is.

I am using XP, but it should be similar in Vista. If that isn't what you need, there may be a way to do it in the MS Management Console. I will look tomorrow when I am not as tired.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:35 AM   #5
Registered Member

I have the same problem, and the answers so far do not address this problem. The problem as I see it is this:

I have for example a folder Root which contains say 5 subdirectories. In each of those subdirectories will contain another 100 files and folders.

Say:

ROOT
Folder 1
Folder 2
Folder 3
Folder 4
Folder 5

I want to set Folder 1 and Folder 5 to have the same set of security, and
I also want to set Folder 2 and Folder 4 a different set of security settings.

Now obviously this Root contains only 5 subfolders, so it's not a hard task to do them one by one. But I've got lots of subfolders to which I have to apply the security settings differently (using groups).

Of course also the crux of the question is still "how do you select subfolders to show security settings" ?

I hope that's clear enough. And awaiting some clever answers, because I'm thinking is this peculiar to Vista?