Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

Folder lock problem in windows 7

This is a discussion on Folder lock problem in windows 7 within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi in my system i have windows7 operating system.i installed folder lock software and lock the 2 folders with this

Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 03:18 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi in my system i have windows7 operating system.i installed folder lock software and lock the 2 folders with this software..

after some days i changed my system o.s to windows xp.i forget to unlock the folders.after installing windows xp o.s the 2 folders are not visible. i have no backup for the 2 folders.there is any chance to get this 2 folders.

i have used data recovery software but i did not get total 2 folder contents...how can i retrieve the 2 folders data.please help me in getting 2 folders

Old 09-02-2011, 07:42 AM   #2
Enthusiast

If you installed Windows XP on the same partition where Windows 7 used to be, everything will have been overwritten by XP Setup and therefore all that data you had on the Windows 7 installation will have been destroyed.

God alone knows why you would want to use XP instead of Windows 7, unless it was because you couldn't get Windows 7 drivers for that PC.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:53 AM   #3
Moderator - Microsoft Support Team

What software did you install?
I suspect that the folders are encrypted. How or if these folders can be decrypted from XP I currently have no way of knowing.

For problems with third party software your best source of information is usually the software supplier.

I know this doesn't help you now but you NEED a backup of important files. There many ways to lose data and you need to be prepared when, not if, this happens.
Old 09-02-2011, 11:43 PM   #4
Registered Member

if i install the windows 7 again i will get the folders or not in same partition where i installed xp..plz give reply..i did not find drivers for windows7 thats y i installed windows xp.any software for recovery the drive to get y folders?
Old 09-03-2011, 06:04 AM   #5
Moderator - Microsoft Support Team

If you installed XP in the same partition as Windows 7 had been the folders and contents no longer exist. The files may be recoverable but this is by no means a certainty. But I suspect that the files are encrypted. Since you have told us nothing about the software used to hide the folders I have no way of knowing how to gain access to them.

If these folders were on the Windows partition reinstalling Windows 7 will not solve your problem. It will make it much more difficult if not impossible to resolve.

Two essential questions:

1. Were these folders on the Windows partition?
2. What software did you use to hide the folders?