Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

Firefox does not close when I leave the Internet

This is a discussion on Firefox does not close when I leave the Internet within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have recently been having a problem with Firefox. When I close down the Internet, and then go back and

Old 11-21-2013, 03:02 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have recently been having a problem with Firefox.

When I close down the Internet, and then go back and click on the Firefox icon to restart the browser, a screen comes up that says:

"Firefox is already running, but is not responding. To open a new window, you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart your system."

[Image of this message below.]

Since I don't know how to "close the existing Firefox process," I am having to restart the computer.

Can you please help me resolve this?

Thanks so much,

cashcqshel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Firefox message.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	143777  

Old 11-21-2013, 04:42 PM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows 7 Pro, ME, Vista. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000 & 98SE

Three finger salute>Start Task Manager>Applications>Choose FF and End Task

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Corday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 02:44 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Quote:
When I close down the Internet
By closing down the internet, are your disconnecting from the internet or just closing Firefox? If you are disconnecting from the internet but not closing Firefox first, it will remain in cache and if you try to start it again, it will say it is already running. Follow Corday's suggestion and if it's not listed under the Applications tab, go to the Processes tab and End the Process.
To not have to do this each time, close Firefox First before disconnecting from the internet.
spunk.funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 02:51 AM   #4
Certifiable Lazy Bum

Send a message via Yahoo to sobeit

it is going to be listed under the processes tab as firefox.exe*32

It happens to me quite a bit ;-)
Old 11-22-2013, 07:21 PM   #5
Registered Member

What is the difference between closing down the Internet and closing Firefox???

I thought that when I clicked on the "X" in the upper right hand corner of an open web page, that I was closing the Internet. If I am only closing Firefox by doing that, then how do I close the Internet first????

And/Or where do I find the Processes Tab?

I might mention that this is a problem that started recently. I did not have this issue previously. ???

Thanks for the replies!

cashcqshel
Old 11-23-2013, 01:17 AM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
What is the difference between closing down the Internet and closing Firefox
That was my initial question to you. If you have limited internet and do not have an always on connection, like a Dial-Up connection that must be closed then you would want to close Firefox first before closing the internet.
If your internet connection is always on, then when you press the Red X in the Firefox browser you are closing Firefox, but your internet connection stays on.
To get to the Processes tab, you follow the instructions that Corday gave In post #2: Press CTRL+ALT+DEL at the same time and start the Task Manager, or you can Right click the Task Bar and start the Task Manager and go to the Processes tab find Firefox.exe *32 and End the Process, before starting another instance of Firefox.
Old 11-23-2013, 03:50 PM   #7
Registered Member

I believe that I have an "always on" internet connection: AT&T DSL.

The method outlined above is now resolving the matter: Contol + Alt + Delete > Task Mgr > Processes tab, under which I close out Firefox.exe.

May I ask WHY IS THIS HAPPENING??? It is a quite new issue, and don't know that I have begun doing anything differently.

AND, is there more permanent solution, so that I do not have to resort to Task Mgr. on each occasion (which seems now to be every time I use the internet)?

Thanks so much to all of you for your very kind replies!

cashcqshel
Old 11-23-2013, 03:55 PM   #8
Certifiable Lazy Bum

Send a message via Yahoo to sobeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashcqshel View Post
I believe that I have an "always on" internet connection: AT&T DSL.

The method outlined above is now resolving the matter: Contol + Alt + Delete > Task Mgr > Processes tab, under which I close out Firefox.exe.

May I ask WHY IS THIS HAPPENING??? It is a quite new issue, and don't know that I have begun doing anything differently.

AND, is there more permanent solution, so that I do not have to resort to Task Mgr. on each occasion (which seems now to be every time I use the internet)?

Thanks so much to all of you for your very kind replies!

cashcqshel

it could be one of the addons (extensions) or toolbars that is keeping it active. sometimes the addons cannot keep up with firefox updates so it may not be completely compatible. You can try disabling all of them and see if it helps. You can also try deleting the cookies and cache to see if it helps. finally you can try resetting the browser to default.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:00 PM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Here is more info: firefox stays as active process after being closed as application | Firefox Support Forum | Mozilla Support
Old 11-24-2013, 04:15 PM   #10
Registered Member

Thanks to all of you for the very helpful information; and the links to Mozilla.

For some odd reason, it has stopped happening!?

If the issue occurs again, I will try the mozilla + safe mode solution.

Wishing all of you a truly Happy Thanksgiving!

I am grateful that I always receive such expert help for all of my computer problems here at techsupportforum!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Turkeys roasting a pilgrim.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	144641  
Old 11-25-2013, 07:37 PM   #11
Registered Member

Thanks for your help, and HAPPY THANKSGIVING!