Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

Files Corrupted After Being Copied to D Drive

This is a discussion on Files Corrupted After Being Copied to D Drive within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi all, I had a post similar to this but there have now been further developments. The story so far:

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 09:48 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi all,

I had a post similar to this but there have now been further developments.

The story so far: I moved a whole heap of files from my C drive to my D drive to free up some space to install Medieval Total War II.

When I copied the files, for some reason, they have all become corrupted, they wont open. Music files, pictures, Adobe files, everything. Some files open, the majority don't.

Is there anyway of fixing this, I'm desperate to get these files back.

Thanks
Bicko

Old 01-05-2009, 12:22 AM   #2
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Run chkdsk /r on drive d: - see if that helps.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:43 AM   #3
Registered Member

My System

You got a message saying they were all corrupted or because they won't open you assume they were all corrupted? What happens when you, let's say, right click on a music file and click on play? And how, exactly, did you go about moving them? did you cut and paste or move?
Old 01-05-2009, 07:03 PM   #4
Registered Member

Well when i try to open the PDF files I get a message saying "Adobe Reader could not open *insert file name here* because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded).

The music files, if I try to play them in Itunes, they won't import back into the library. If i move them back to the original locations and try to play them nothing happens, itunes just sits idle.

If I try to open the MP3'S in WMP I get the message "WMP cannot play the file. The player might not support the file type or might not suport the codec that was used to compress the file."

As for the photos, Windows Photo Gallery tells me "Photo gallery can't open this picture or video. This file format is not supported or you don't have the latest updates to photos gallery."

I should point out that not all the files have stopped working. Some of the photos are fine, as are some of the PDFS. The music is the big one with none of them working.

I cut and pasted the files from the C: to the D:

I ran the chkdsk/r and it didn't fix the problem. All it told me was the file system was NTFS.

Cheers
Bicko.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:06 AM   #5
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Hi -

I have never encountered a problem w/ PDFs, but then again I don't have very many of them. All of my pix are JPEG and I have moved them all over creation.

MP3's have given me problems and I have lost many. When I try to play some, it tells me it is looking for a file that is no longer there.

As for iTunes... I spent days figuring out how to move a relatives >6,000 iTune library. I know for a fact that you cannot just move iTunes as it does depend on a file(s) - like an index, playlist, etc... that keeps them in order. I did successfully move all 6,000+ itunes to an external HDD then move them back to his XP Media Edition system after an XP re-install. All remained in tact including the playlists.

Zip up some of the file and attach to your next post. I'll take a look at them and see what I can find out. Please include working and non-working ones. I'll be away most of tomorrow - I leave for Philadelphia in about 6 hours.

Did you use Photo Gallery, WMP, iTunes before to play all of these files?

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Old 01-06-2009, 01:34 AM   #6
Registered Member

Here are the files you asked for.

Yes i've always used Itunes, Photo Gallery and WMP. Now I can't even re-import the music back into Itunes. As it turns out, video files as well won't open. Its basically every file type a i moved over (Namely photos, music, videos and PDFS.)

Thanks for you help =)
Bicko
Attached Files
File Type: zip mp3.zip (663 Bytes, 5 views)
File Type: zip PDF.zip (51.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: zip Photos.zip (61.1 KB, 5 views)
Old 01-09-2009, 09:24 AM   #7
Microsoft MVP
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert

Hi -

I tried every trick and program that I could find - and was not able to open any of the corrupted files. The mp3 file I was able to "dump" - all it contained was space and the following:
Code:
Jam Track - A Blues.mp3
I don't know what has happened to your files. You said that you copy/pasted them and did not use some type of compression backup software?

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Old 01-10-2009, 02:03 PM   #8
Registered Member

My System

I have spent a good part of the day trying to research this and figure out what happened and how to fix it. I'm counting on some of the wiser folks in here to help me out on this.
I tried to picture how data is actually moved. What takes place, what process is involved and which process could have screwed it up. I'm not an engineer but it seems simple enough. The heads find the data, the data is picked up, stored in memory, tansferred to the other heads who in turn put it back down in the new home. Is that about it in a nutshell? I'm sure there are a gazzillion little things that went on but in essence, is that it?
Well, part of that process could have buggered it up? The memory seems to me to be the likely suspect, off the top of my head.
So what? Who cares? The important thing is to get the data back.
If it were me, I'd quit messing with the drive asap. Go to another machine, order some data recovery software (I use GetDataBack NTFS by Runtime) and mount your drive as a slave in another machine. Run GetDataBack using the excessive search and look for deleted files.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:08 AM   #9
Registered Member

I have the exact same issue. With corrupt files, I copied the important folders from my user folder. I was doing this to back up all my files before installing RC1. I did the copy with just a ctrl+c and ctrl+v.
My Music
My Doc's
My picture
My favorite, ect.

To my usb external D: drive when trying to copy certain folders back it would display calculating time...... then stop trying to copy.

So I copied back folder by folder. For My doc's several .ppt files for one course were corrupt the copy worked after I deleted that course folder with the .ppt in it. My music has been a 3 week long process (not done yet) every 2-3 hours it will tell me what file it can't copy (ask to try again, or skip) I skip it and delete the file from the external.

Really disappointed way to start windows 7 rc. But at least the occational explorer.exe hangs are gone.

On a side note data recovery experts say don't run a chkdsk before you attempt to recover your data it will make it harder to recover. It does so by appending broken file links with something like a tempXXXX.tmp name and other things that I can't remember.