Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support

File System Damage?

This is a discussion on File System Damage? within the Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Dell Optiplex 745 SSF Windows Vista Home Premium SP2. Installed from 'OEM' media. I have used GIMP for a long

Old 05-14-2017, 10:31 AM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

Dell Optiplex 745 SSF
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2. Installed from 'OEM' media.

I have used GIMP for a long time without any problems. Recently, I tried to add a plugin to Gimp. An error report said, 'This application has failed to start because xxxxxxxx.dll was not found.

I found the dll in the Gimp>bin folder and copied it to the plugin application. Then, when trying to install the plugin, I got another error message about another missing dll. I found that dll in Gimp>bin and copied it over.

After doing this about 10 times, I copied all dlls at once from Gimp>bin to the plugin app, thinking it would ask me if I wanted to skip any duplicates.

I caused some problems by doing this but don't know what. Everything is slower. Many things hang. Most times the download folder wont come up, at all. The whole computer is a mess.

I wanted to do a restore, but did not have a restore point before making these changes. I ran scannow. No errors were found. I ran chkdsk, but could not see the log. 'Event log is unavailable'. I don't know why. Event Log is set to automatic.

Now, I find the plugin is several years old and I really don't care about installing it. I just want to get the computer back to where it was before I created this mess.

Any suggestions as to how to track down and reverse the damage I've done? Could I have caused file system problems? I hate to do a complete re install, but will if necessary.

On the subject of reinstall. The computer was purchased form Dell as a refurbished unit. It has been working very well. As might be expected, there was no installation CD with the shipment. How would I go about getting or making a CD. Or is there a way to reinstall without a CD? Could I do this from Recovery D?
likekinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2017, 11:29 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

Scroll down in this article to Access the Recovery Partition in Vista: https://neosmart.net/wiki/dell-recovery-partition/
spunk.funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 12:25 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

It doesn't say. Is this an ISO file to be burned to a disk?
Old 05-15-2017, 03:29 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX 10.11.5

My System

please follow the instructions. Scroll down 1/3 of the way down in the page in this link https://neosmart.net/wiki/dell-recovery-partition/ To the section Access the Recovery Partition in Vista for specific instructions on how to access the Recovery Partition on Dell computer using Vista.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:55 AM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

F8 does not contain a repair your computer option.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:41 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

I found an option in Recovery D to build a factory image. Would this be of any help?
Old 05-15-2017, 10:06 AM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

If you can still boot the computer, follow these instructions for creating your own Recovery CD Restoring Your Computerīs Software to the Factory Settings for Windows Vista | Dell US
Or If you don't have a Vista DVD, then you can download the ISO image of Vista and burn it to your own DVD.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:37 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

I do have a Vista DVD, but it is for another computer. Would it work here for the purposes of computer repair. I am downloading the ISO just in case it wont.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:11 PM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

The reason I asked the above question is: This is a free download, but further into the site, it says the download is a 'Free Trial".
Old 05-15-2017, 03:02 PM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

This is the one thing I really dislike about a reinstall of this type. The installation will not initiate. I assume burned a good copy of the ISO file.

So, I went to Setup and changed the boot to CD-Rom priority.Then I went to boot menu and did the same. The disk will not start. The lights blink for some time on the optical drive, then nothing.

I had this happen before. TSF instructed me to make changes in SATA? Then I was able to install. I don't remember what those changes were.
Old 05-15-2017, 04:40 PM   #11
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

If you have a Microsoft Vista DVD then use that. Type in the product key which is on a sticker on the top of the Desktop case
Old 05-15-2017, 05:48 PM   #12
TSF Enthusiast

I've never gotten this error before:
The installation was canceled. Windows cannot install required files. Make sure all files required for installation are available and restart the installation.

(This is with the Vista disk from another computer).
Old 05-15-2017, 08:37 PM   #13
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

The Disc is smudged, or has a hairline scratch that the DVD drive cannot read the disc. Try the disc on another computer or try a different DVD drive on this computer. If this is an OEM disc, then there are drivers specific to the other computer that won't allow it to be installed on anything else.
If all else fails, you can upgrade to Windows 7 https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...nload/windows7
Old 05-16-2017, 08:24 AM   #14
TSF Enthusiast

I have been given several used computers to 'play' with. They had no hard drives. I was given the disks for these computers. All had been unopened.

When I bought this computer, the OS was Vista Basic. I used one of those unopened disks to reinstall with Vista Premium. It has been working well for over a year.

This same disk is the one I'm using to try to reinstall again. This time it is not working. I tried another disk, the one that came with my dell XPS410. It too, does not work.

I get identical results from both disks. If I boot to these disks, I get as far as 'Expanding Files' before it quits. If I start the installation in Windows, I get half way through the installation before it quits.

Sometimes, with both disks, I get the error that the hard drive does not meet the requirements to install from the disk. This is strange. One of the disks contains the OS presently on the hard drive.

I may be wrong, but I don't think the problem lies in a scratched disk. If the one I used is not scratched and I did use it to install Vista Premium currently on the computer, I don't understand why it will not install again.

I'm thinking if both disks stop installing at the same identical place, both would have to be scratched identically. Again, I could well be wrong.

The ISO I burned from the link you provided will not even initiate. I don't know what I did wrong, here.

The above results are the same whether I use the computer optical drive or an external optical drive.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:47 AM   #15
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

If the ISO image failed, try burning the ISO image to DVD with IMGBurn, You can also create an ISO image from a disc in IMGBurn. Then you can choose to make a bootable USB Flash Drive with Rufus, both in my signature.
With the flash drive in, start Rufus, under Create a Bootable disk using, take the drop down arrow and choose ISO image, browse to your Saved ISO image to burn to the USB Flash drive. Once completed, put the flash drive into the troubled computer and press F12 at bootup to do a one time change of Boot order. The USB Flash drive may be listed under Hard Drive group or just USB Device. Move this to First Boot Device.
When you start the computer you should see the message, Press Any Key To Boot From USB.
Old 05-16-2017, 02:38 PM   #16
TSF Enthusiast

I burned the file with IMG to a new Verbatim DVD. The burn was successful and verified.

The installation 'supposedly' copied the files in 2 seconds. Before it got to expanding the files, I got the same error as with the other 2 disks:

Windows cannot install required files. Make sure all files required for installation are available and restart the installation.

What is interesting is that this happens when I boot to the two disks I have and the one I just burned. But, when I initiate the installation through Windows autoplay, it takes a long time to copy the files and it shows every percentage increment up to 100%.

Then it proceeds to expand the files. It gets to 27% and then needs to shut down. When it boots, I have to strike any key to continue. Then I get the same error message as above:

Windows cannot install required files. Make sure all files required for installation are available and restart the installation.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:02 PM   #17
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Start the computer and press F12 at bootup, run the Dell Diagnostics on the HDD and Memory (RAM). If any errors, that hardware is bad and needs to be replaced.
If all goes well, restart and press F2 at Bootup and boot into Setup (Bios) under Hard Drive Mode, make sure it is set to AHCI and not Legacy.
However, if it is already set to AHCI and you are having problems, then set it to Legacy to test. Save and Exit.
Old 05-16-2017, 04:21 PM   #18
TSF Enthusiast

I ran the HDD diagnostics. It passed. I did not see a memory test at this address. However, I did run Memtest (a very long test) yesterday and it passed.

In BIOS, I did not find Hard Drive Mode. I found SATA Operations. It was set to Normal, which is the default. The only other option was Legacy. I switched to that.

I got the same response and error when trying one of my older disks and the one I just burned.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:57 PM   #19
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

On a different computer, create an ISO image of your Vista Discs.
Burn the ISO images to a USB flash drive with Rufus as outlined previously.
On the troubled computer, In the Bios, set SATA operations to Normal.
Change the Boot order to USB Flash drive as outlined previously.
Boot off of the USB Flash Drive and try the install.
If all fails, consider burning a Windows 7 ISO as discussed previously.
If nothing works, contact Dell support. Support for OptiPlex 745 | Dell US
Old 05-16-2017, 07:45 PM   #20
TSF Enthusiast

I created the flash drive with my Win10 machine. Same error.