Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] File ext. all changed to Adobe.

1K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  Dolores H. 
#1 · (Edited)
:blush: Hello, I hope I'm in the right place. On Sunday I tried to open a shortcut for ITunes on my desktop when it gave me a message like "what file do I want to use to open this file?" I must have clicked something wrong bc all the files on my desktop (except for Facebook) changed to the ITunes icon, even the ones in the Start Menu. I tried to use the 'properties' for the programs to change the icon, but it didn't work. I then tried to open another & I picked Adope Reader to open the file. They all changed to Adobe Reader icon. Then if I tried to open anything, it gave me the message "Adobe Reader could not open 'Chrome.exe.' (or whatever it was), bc it is either not a supported file type or bc the file has been damaged."
Is this something I can change or do I have to take it to the guys at the computer repair shop?
Thanks,
Dolores H.

p.s. Naturally I forgot to mention I'm using Windows 7 in a Lenova pc. :facepalm:
with Serv. Pack 1, I think.

#3 ·
Re: File ext. all changed to Adobe.

Hi, click on the attached .zip file it will return a Default_exe.reg file, double click on this file and agree to add to registry. Restart computer, let us know how you get on.

View attachment 196442
Thank you Jenae, but restarting it after following your instructions did not change anything. Icons are still all adobe.

#6 ·

I just realized I hadn't mentioned the file ext. 'ink' before. If that is a pertinent piece of info, I'm so sorry. I tried to take a screen shot of the message that was sent, but it wouldn't work. Therefore, this is the message I received after I tried the 'fix-it'.
Registry Editor
C:\Users\Owner\app data\local\temp\Rar$DIaO.171\default_ICO.reg: not all data was successfully written to the registry. Some keys are open by the system or other processes. Thanks for your time. D

#8 ·

Hi, run the reg fix's in safe mode, we will include the .lnks assoc as well, same as before:- (these are safe as they return defaults).

View attachment 196674
Jenae, I'm fixed! Thank you so much. All the file ext. in the programs are back to normal too.
Thanks again. I will certainly bookmark this site for future use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.