Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

"file does not have a program associated with it" error message

This is a discussion on "file does not have a program associated with it" error message within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm getting the error message "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 03:06 PM   #1
Registered Member

Question

I'm getting the error message "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action.
Create an association in the Folder Options control panel" whenever I try to open anything.

I'm not able to open any applications. I can open my computer and those folders but can't open any files inside them.
The only thing I can open is the internet and I did that by typing the site url into the run box.

I had that stupid xp anti virus 2011 on my computer and was trying to remove it
but I goofed in the registry editor and deleted something I shouldn't have and that's when the trouble started.

Now when I try to open the registry editor, I get the message that says "Windows cannot open this file.... to open
this file windows needs to know which program created it...."

Can someone tell me how to fix this so I can open all my programs normally again?

Old 05-04-2011, 04:52 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 7 Ultimate X64 and x86 SP1 & Windows XP Pro SP3

My System

Send a message via Skype™ to TheGift73

Hi zoel_222 and welcome to TSF.

Firstly we need to fix your ability to reassociate file types for programs. Please follow this link for File Association Fixes for Windows 7. You will want the EXE one.

Quote:
Instructions
To fix the association for a particular file type:

1. Download the corresponding fix from the above table. (Use Right-click – Save as option in your browser to download the fixes.)

2. Unzip the file and extract the .REG file to Desktop.

3. Right-click the REG file and choose Merge. Alternately, you can open the Registry Editor and then using the Import option from the File menu, to merge the REG file contents.

Note that you need to be an administrator to apply these fixes.
Then, you will need to start a new thread in the ' Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help' section and give then all the details they require to help you.