Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Error oxc000000f Need help repairing Boot Configuration Data??

10K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  wadmancpu 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi, I was running Windows 7 on a Dell Vostro 3700 Laptop..After doing a spyware scan and finding and deleting all the entries I found, the next time I turned it on I get the error: oxc000000f "An error occured while attmepting to read the boot configuration data File: \Boot\BCD"

I have looked online for solutions and tried using the Windows 7 disc (a copy) and also tried using 3 recovery disks, these all fail because it just stays completely black with a cursor (left for hours even) or I get a error message something around the lines of "insert correct boot media into the correct boot device" and I have no idea what this means. I cannot do a repair because I can only get the Windows disc to load if I remove the hard drive?? this is the only way I have got it past the green loading bar, so I am stuck and have no idea what to do..it only seems to respond to cds if the hard drive is removed?.. this all happened very suddenly and now I have a very expensive £800 paperweight.. Any help massively appreciated!

To add to this - I also tried the command prompt typing the bootrec.exe code that I found on the internet..selecting command prompt from the option when the Windows 7 disc was loaded, but basically it came up with an error of some sort and it had a drive letter of X:/ on the command prompt ?? ..Also to get to this the hard drive was removed because like I said I cannot get the discs working with it in.. I'm guessing this means the hard drive is screwed but there is clearly a problem with the boot sector and I have no idea on repairing it now.

See less See more
#4 ·
Hi Yes I have selected optical drive as the default.. I tried the command bcdboot C:\Windows and got the message "Failure when attempting to copy boot files." I'm guessing this is because the hard drive isn't connected, but like I said this is the only way I can seem to get the disc to actually load, otherwise the screen stays black with a cursor. Also I forgot to mention that when booting up it reads "PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable" and then "Reboot and select proper boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key" when trying to boot as normal, from the hard drive. Is there a way I can access a recovery partition on the hard drive as I have heard some laptops have this ability, and able to restore from factory settings? Surely there's a way around repairing the boot files when the hard drive is intact? Thanks again.

#5 ·
Also I do not have a genuine version of the OS disc because I refuse to pay a fortune when it should have been included with the system anyway.. it seems that they rarely ship with the OS now? Anyway it is from a genuine source and still should work also I contacted Dell to find they were very forward with me sending the laptop and booked someone to collect it, without stating a price and now I cannot cancel it because their chat rooms aren't open on weekends, and so I will be telling the guy at the door not to bother..It was however,shipped with a diagnostics disc which tests all components in the HD,and the all came out as passed. I think all I need to do is re fix the boot files and then re-install windows but its proving much harder than it should be..

#7 ·
If you have a good oem copy of your version of windows you can get it up and running without a recovery disc, you'll just have a little more work to. Like re-installing any drivers win 7 doesn't include, however win 7 is very good with installing many drivers. I hardly ever use recovery discs because my customers NEVER have them.

#8 ·
I was surprised to find the OEM disc that actually came with the laptop, didn't even know that it came with one till today, anyway I tried that..and same story it hangs with a black screen and white cursor..nothing else..I tried hitting all the F keys at start up and all I can access is the Bios settings, and which drive to boot from..clearly wont boot from HD but no discs work either!?..getting ******* sick of it and ready to chuck it out..750 quid worth of ********. I also managed to get hold of a external hard drive reader, but it takes like 40 minutes to even show the drives, and I see a Recovery partition(Why cant I boot to this from the laptop?! isn't that what its for..?) and also the main drive in which when I click it I get "not formatted, format now?" which tells me its goosed? I don't want to format because I will lose very important things I need..but I'll still go along with it if this will work? or possibly buy a new hard drive and install on that? but then again I cannot be totally sure that is what has failed? (although I think that's what it is) otherwise i'd buy one right-away

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.