Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

Error : a device attached to the system is not functioning

This is a discussion on Error : a device attached to the system is not functioning within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi guys, since 2 nights ago i began having problems with my PC and wondering if anyone else has experienced

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 02:56 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi guys, since 2 nights ago i began having problems with my PC and wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem before and has a solution.

So whenever i try to open up any .exe files, any programs including web browsers i will receive this message/error "A device attached to the system is not functioning".

What i have tried recently is the disk cleanup feature which said the hard drive was fine, cleaning up the insides of the case(dust) and also unplugging and re-plugging the cables of the hard drive.

I'm all out of ideas, what do you guys think? Will reformatting work? Or do i need to replace the hard drive? Or any other solutions...

Also if you need any other information feel free to ask, thanks in advance guys.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:13 AM   #2
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.

Hi, welcome to the forums, use event viewer for more info on this, under system log. Post back with what you see for more advice.

Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] BSOD when accessing internet
Hi, OS - Vista/ Windows 7 ? : Vista SP 2 · x86 (32-bit) or x64 : 32-bit · What was original installed OS on system? :Vista · Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version (YOU purchased it from retailer)? : Full retail · Age of system (hardware): 3-4 years ·...
eraonel BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs 11 02-01-2012 12:41 PM
Unable to run ANY applications in Windows XP Pro
Unable to run ANY applications XP Pro History: My wife has a Dell Latitude 620 that was given to her by her former company so she could work from home in 2006. In 2009 after 30 years of stellar service to her company, she was dismissed over health issues. She was allowed to keep the laptop...
1Roadwarrior Windows XP Support 98 01-06-2012 08:13 PM
Vista frequent/multiple BSOD
OS ·Windows Vista 64-bit Service pack 2 · What was original installed OS on system?- Windows Vista 64-bit Service pack 2 · Is the OS an OEM version- pre-installed · Age of system (hardware)- 2009 · Age of OS installation - n/a` · CPU- Intel Penitum Dual CPU E2220 @ 2.40 GHZ · Video...
sirjoe27 BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs 15 12-09-2011 07:54 PM
Video and Sound lag in full screen videos + 0x116 BSODs
Hello guys... So I have recently formatted my computer and whenever I play a video on fullscreen, the video will lag a lot and the sound will be buggy and cracky.... Also, for example, I am playing Assassin's Creed II at the moment and this also happens in the cut scenes... This has all happened...
rudy_eila BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs 28 09-01-2011 02:49 AM
BSOD like clockwork
Hi there, since Jan 3rd this year I'm experiencing BSOD like clockwork. Roughly 24 hours after the last startup. Now I had installed spotnet, a utility for monitoring usenet posts, and that program installed .NET Frameworks 4. Obviously i deleted both installs, but the problem persists. I tried...
Mario Aandewiel Windows XP Support 34 02-05-2011 10:28 AM