Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

dunno what to do

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  twajetmech 
#1 ·
I'm at a crossroads here. On one hand I really want to have my computer built VERY soon as I only have 2 more parts to order, and on the other han dI really want WIn Vista since it will be the next step in innovation and be 64 bit, and be required by most games coming out in Jan and after (I think)

problem is that Vista doesn't some out till end of Jan, and I want this comp done by end of Dec. I was thinking about getting Win XP media center to maybe hold me over but I don't know. In a month I would just be shelling out another $200 for Vista so I would have wasted so much money. What should I do!!:4-dontkno

#2 ·
just get xp and use it, and don't get vista for a couple of years. i have yet to hear of any games that say they will be vista only. the only thing vista has over xp gaming wise id dx10, and the 1st vid card t support it just came out and is over 600usd. so unless you have the nvidia 8800, you won't even be seeing dx10 in use, even if you get a game that uses it (i don't believe any are out yet). after using vista rc1 for a while, i just went back to xp. for me vista didn't give enouph tweeking power over my system to get the most speed for my gaming. the os just simply doesn't allow for 100% user control over the os like xp is. vista is just too concerned about protecting you and its self.

#5 ·
Why don't you go ahead and purchase Windows XP Professional and apply for a Technology Upgrade (This is only available for FPP Software) XP, this will cost an extra $32 NZDOLLARS shipping fee.

or you could purchase The Express Upgrade (For OEM Software), doing this will cost you the price of Windows.
This might save you some moolah!!!! :)
By the way...... You can get the pricing for the Express Upgrade from the reseller....
Hope this helps
:wave:

#6 ·
If you purchase XP from Newegg, Tigerdirect etc they offer the express update to Vista when it comes out. Vista allows just as much tweaking as XP, however many items were either renamed or are buried, but you can find them if you look hard enough. Vista offers better stability than XP at the moment....if explorer were to crash for instance, you don't get a bsod, explorer simply restarts ! Security is much improved and as of now most anti virus software works on it like Avast, Spybot, Adaware etc. The built in firewall is actually okay. I also find that of the few games I have loaded on Vista, they do visually look better and play just as well in Vista as they do in XP. If you want to play with the beta of Vista I suggest you put it on another partition and do the dual boot installation, I think you will be pleasantly surprised at Vista. I will also note that driver support for Vista is coming along, and that most items are now either natively supported or have Vista drivers available....even Creative and Logitech (two notoriously horrible for Vista beta support) now have beta drivers which work very well for most of their popular products. You can always upgrade to a DX10 videocard as required, but for now it is unnessessary....a 7600gt would be a good transition card. Or, you can go all out for the 8800gtx ($599) or 8800gts ($450) that are DX10. Both cards blow away any sli or crossfire setup even as individual cards ! And while Vista is just as "peppy" as XP in its latest release, it does require a bit more memory than XP, so, where the sweetspot for XP was 1Gb of ram, for Vista 2Gb will be it. As with any new OS release, it takes a little getting used to, but Vista and Office 12 are imho a definite improvement over XP (and I like XP)...Vista even runs and fully supports everything on my laptop (Toshiba M200) I was able to give all my PP presentations in class (I'm the instructor) using Vista...the students loved it.

#9 ·
??? there is nothing special needed for Vista....its just a new OS, other than 1Gb of memory being a reccomended minimum (by me) there is nothing wrong with preparing for it, especially if the computer being built today is expected to last the user for say 3 years....my current rig (
CPU: Intel P4 3.4 OC'd to 3.7
Mainboard: Asus P4C800-E deluxe rev 1.03
Mem: Mushkin PC3500 2X512....BH-5 !
HDD: 2X300Gb, 1X 120Gb, 1X 80Gb
Video: Asus V9999GT 6800GT
Sound: Creative Audigy2 Platinum
CDRom: Plextor 708a & PX-W5224
Printer: Epson R200
Power: PC Power & Cooling 510W ATX Deluxe ) runs it just fine....any new build will as well. It is good advice to wait until Vista's first Sp release to update to it....but a little bit of preperation can't hurt either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.