Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dual Monitor: Periodic Blank Screen Issue

18K views 33 replies 4 participants last post by  Synchrotron 
#1 ·
Hello all,

Not sure weather this belongs in the Hardware or Windows 7 section but here goes. I'm having issues with running a dual monitor setup, in that it works fine some of the time but periodically one of the monitors' screen will be blank. This screen briefly flashes the display when turned on but then goes blank. I know it works as it always shows the boot screens, and as such it seems like it could be a driver or resolution issue. I've tried identifying the graphics card as:

and updating from the website but apparently to no avail. I also did an internet search which suggested unplugging and plugging it back in, but again to no avail. It's strange as sometimes it will work perfectly fine, whereas others it will remain blank. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, and I thank you in advance for your time.

Kind regards.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for the swift response. I can't switch cables as the problematic monitor uses DVI and the other monitor uses VGA. It's strange because even when I adjust the screen resolution settings:

it flickers on for a moment before returning blank.

#4 ·
Ahh alright, was just trying to determine whether the port itself was causing the problem, no adapters laying around? :)

Otherwise you could just unplug the main monitor and see if the problem persists.

#5 ·
Unplugged the main one and the other was still blank. It's strange because other times both displays would work with an extended desktop for hours on end with no issues. It's a periodic problem that arises only on some occasions of booting the system up - which is why I thought it may be a resolution conflict.

#8 ·
Under "System" and/or "Application", are there any posts with red marks to the side?

If you see alot of them, see if there are any with the same "Event ID" (The column to the right).

If you're unsure on how to check for these things, you could export the events and upload them to me (Or PM me and i'll give you my email). So that I can have a look at it.

Mark the log, choose "Actions" and "Save log file as".

#11 ·
Looks like you have an ATI card. If you right click on your desktop, there should be something called "Catalyst Control Center" right at the top of the list. This will take you to a more in-depth control panel with advanced settings. The problem could also lie in a clash between your GPU and screen refresh rate. It is risky to change your refresh rate other than the default configuration because it can harm your system. I recommend calling AMD support or your monitor's manufacturer. AMD has a great support staff and they will guide you through the steps necessary. Click here for the support numbers based on your area.

#16 · (Edited)
Depends on what kind of pricerange you're up for. I'd recommend something between £ 100-150. I'd go for something like this, which is a PCI-E card:

Radeon HD 6850

If you can check what kind of motherboard you have we can establish what kind of card you need, or take a picture of it if you're unsure and post it here.

#17 ·
I'll have a look into it. Though I've just tried booting up without the Samsung connected and the other screen still has no display. Is this just the monitor coming to the end of it's life and the backlight being knackered?

Is there anyway of telling weather it's the monitor or the graphics card...

Should I go ahead and call AMD anyway?

The screenshot a few posts previous lists my motherboard make as: ASUS p5gd1-fm

#18 ·
#19 ·
Sorry, to clarify it's not both the screens. I tried unplugging the functioning Samsung screen (connected via VGA) and left the malfunctioning Digimate (Connected via DVI) plugged in to see if it would load when plugged in on it's own. It didn't.

The reason I wanted to clarify if it is just a knackered Digimate monitor, and not a knackered graphics card, was because surely buying another screen would work out cheaper for myself then buying another graphics card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.