Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

Dropped laptop, computer now freezes at desktop

This is a discussion on Dropped laptop, computer now freezes at desktop within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi TSF. This is my first post here, so feel free to point me to a specific sticky if what

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 12:34 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi TSF. This is my first post here, so feel free to point me to a specific sticky if what I'm saying is redundant. That being said, I think I've checked the stickies that seemed slightly relevant to my situation and it wasn't helpful.

Yesterday, I was walking down the stairs with my laptop, watching a video, when I slipped, and I dropped my laptop from about 1.8 metres up. My laptop hit the ground and the screen went fuzzy and the audio stuck, so I cold-booted my laptop. It started up just fine, and I thought everything was okay (I played a movie to check that the sound and video cards were still working)

However, when I turned it on this morning, my laptop would get stuck on the desktop page, right after the login screen. My desktop icons would load up and everything, but when I would mouse over them, they wouldn't be highlighted. I had to wait a good five minutes before I could actually click on anything and get a response, and it was still really slow. The "My Computer" part of the start menu took at least 10 minutes to open up, and that was only just the window, so at this point I figured that maybe there has been some sustained damage to my laptop.

I asked a couple of friends, and I get the feeling that only my hard drive has been damaged. My question is, what do I do now? I don't have backups, so I need to backup my hard drive first, so should I use a linux CD to access my hard drive to back things up?

tl;dr: I dropped my laptop, it freezes at the desktop screen, I think it might be a hard drive problem, what do I do now?
THANKS!! :D

Old 05-10-2012, 02:50 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

On another computer, download the ISO image (depending on the HDD manufacturer) for either Seatools, Drive Fitness, or WD DataLifeGuard in my signature and burn the Image to CD using IMGBurn also in my signature. Boot off of the newly created CD and run the Short and Long tests on the drive. If there are too many errors, the drive will need to be replaced.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:51 AM   #3
Moderator - Microsoft Support Team

All conventional hard drives are easily damaged by falls or other physical shocks, particularly while running. During operation laptops should be moved only when necessary and very carefully. Only SSD drives are relatively immune from physical shocks and they are currently quite expensive.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:19 AM   #4
Registered Member

Thanks for your input. However, talking with my parents, (and the tone I'm getting from you guys) it seems like my issue is a lost cause.

I mean, is it even possible to remove the hard drive if I do indeed discover that its only the hard drive's fault? I have a Dell XPS, the model where the screen doesn't start directly at the back of the laptop (when the screen is open, the side view is a lopsided-T)

And say I run a check of the hard drive and I find that it's manageable. What's to say that there aren't any other problems with the motherboard, or sound card, or video card that wasn't apparent when I booted my laptop? And if so, how would I check for those/what should I do?

Your advice is most definitely appreciated!
Old 05-10-2012, 07:20 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
On another computer, download the ISO image (depending on the HDD manufacturer) for either Seatools, Drive Fitness, or WD DataLifeGuard in my signature and burn the Image to CD using IMGBurn also in my signature. Boot off of the newly created CD and run the Short and Long tests on the drive. If there are too many errors, the drive will need to be replaced.
Say that the tests give me a small amount of errors. Would that mean that a new hard drive is all that I would need?