Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

Do I use 64 or 32 bit verson?

This is a discussion on Do I use 64 or 32 bit verson? within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a new, unopened, full, retail Vista Ultimate program. Because of past problems with Vista I would want to

Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 05:25 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have a new, unopened, full, retail Vista Ultimate program. Because of past problems with Vista I would want to install on a seperate drive and thus keep my XP Pro OS. My CPU info: 2.80 gigahertz Intel Pentium D
16 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Would/should I install the 32 or 64 bit version? I don't think I have any 64 bit programs at this time. Thanks.

Old 03-29-2007, 06:34 AM   #2
Registered Member

pentiums are x86 32 bit processors, so the 64 bit won't work, thus go with the 32bit version.

Old 03-30-2007, 02:58 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows XP 32-bit/64-bit, Ubuntu x64, Windows 7 x64

My System

Also just to let you know all Windows Vista OS's detect your hardware and install the appropriate Version 32 or 64
Old 03-30-2007, 03:45 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus_Karlos View Post
Also just to let you know all Windows Vista OS's detect your hardware and install the appropriate Version 32 or 64
I'm going to make a clean install on a blank/formatted drive. Does this make a difference? I intend to run my XP Pro as usual.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:30 AM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_senator View Post
I'm going to make a clean install on a blank/formatted drive. Does this make a difference? I intend to run my XP Pro as usual.
If you mean having XP Pro on one HDD and Vista on another HDD then it may not work as your BIOS can only select one priority HDD to scan for a OS its not like selecting order for boot
eg. 1) CD-ROM..
2) HDD..
3) Floppy Drive..

But im not to sure really as i only install one OS on a system, never tried two
Old 03-30-2007, 04:53 AM   #6
Not...

Hi,
As long as you install Vista in a dual boot configuration that won't be a problem.

Nicholas
Old 03-30-2007, 06:21 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eneles View Post
Hi,
As long as you install Vista in a dual boot configuration that won't be a problem.

Nicholas
And I do this how?
Old 03-30-2007, 07:13 AM   #8
Not...

This is how I did it: I started my computer with WinXP. Once in XP I started the Vista installation. During the install process you will be asked where you want to install Vista - choose any (large enough) partition where XP is NOT installed. Vista will create a boot.ini file which lets you choose the OS you want to run when you start the computer.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:26 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
This is how I did it: I started my computer with WinXP. Once in XP I started the Vista installation. During the install process you will be asked where you want to install Vista - choose any (large enough) partition where XP is NOT installed. Vista will create a boot.ini file which lets you choose the OS you want to run when you start the computer.
Simple enough, thanks. BTW, how do you like Vista? Microsoft gave me this copy of Vista that I have because of problems with the edition I purchased and returned. I want to be ready for the future but don't know if Vista needs to be a part of it. I have considered selling my copy on eBay and using the money for photo gear.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:31 AM   #10
Not...

I've uninstalled it (only a Beta version). I think I will wait 'til the first service pack before I buy it. Too many problems with it now (just check the forum).
Old 03-30-2007, 07:53 AM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Too many problems with it now...
Yeah, that's why I returned the copy I bought. I had to format and reinstall my old XP Pro OS. If I do anything I would only install Vista on a seperate drive and tinker with it and, of course, update as needed. One thing is for sure, I will either install the copy Microsoft gave me or sell it on eBay. I won't just throw it away.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:35 PM   #12
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

Quote:
I would only install Vista on a seperate drive and tinker with it and, of course, update as needed.

Thats what I did, my bios lets be select boot priority(not the same as boot order) so I can enter bios and select what drive to boot from. The way I understand if you use a boot manager it (vista) can wreck your XP install if you remove vista so I just installed both OS on seperate drives and use bios to select what one to boot from.

I have decided I like vista and have had very little problems at least none I could not work out and I am running it on a somewhat older machine (in my sig). Although I have not yet done any gaming with it.

JOIN TEAM TSF
Old 03-30-2007, 11:34 PM   #13
The Patriot

My System

Send a message via AIM to Real_Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_senator View Post
You sure?

I am running a Sempron 3000+ and while Vista has installed 32 Bit OS (as far as I know) Tuneup Utilities 2007 and 2006 has kept telling me as a recommendation to upgrade to 64 Bit OS.

It states:

Your computer has a 64 bit processor, But you current windows version only uses 32 of the available 64 bits. You should consider upgrading to Windows XP Professional X64 to benefeit from improved security and better system performance.

As far as I know Vista installed 32 Bit and is only a 32 Bit OS. Least the home edition is.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:44 AM   #14
Not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doby View Post
Thats what I did, my bios lets be select boot priority(not the same as boot order) so I can enter bios and select what drive to boot from. The way I understand if you use a boot manager it (vista) can wreck your XP install if you remove vista so I just installed both OS on seperate drives and use bios to select what one to boot from.

I have decided I like vista and have had very little problems at least none I could not work out and I am running it on a somewhat older machine (in my sig). Although I have not yet done any gaming with it.
Yes, it can be a bit of a pain to remove Vista from a dual boot.
Old 03-31-2007, 05:21 AM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes, it can be a bit of a pain to remove Vista from a dual boot.
I think I will just sell it. The last thing I want is any more problems with Vista. It's a retail version of Ultimate with both 32 and 64 bit CDs.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:44 PM   #16
Registered Member

Gents, unless I've missed something I have no idea what you are talking about.

1. You do not get a choice of 32 or 64 bit installation when you install. You choose at time of purchase.

2. x86 does not mean 32 bit only that it is bakwards compatible all the back to the 16 bit 80186. All processors sold in from at least last year on for PCs are 64 bit.

This means you have a choice, so "Choose wisely." There are several downsides to a 64 bit version of Windows.

A. Every driver must be 64 bit. Not a problem if you are running on a new system.

B. Some of your cool utils may not be available, such as TweakUI. No 64 bit version (last I checked).

C. It will run slower and use more memory. "What?!", you say. Yes. 64 bit processing means 64 bit instructions, which for the same basic stuff means the exact same program takes twice the room (only the code, not the memory it utilizes). Why will it run slower? Imperceptibly to you most likely but it takes more cycles bring the bigger program into the cache, more cache misses, etc.

So, why would anyone install a 64 bit OS if there aren't 64 bit apps to run? One big reason. Memory. All your 32 bit versions of Windows are limited to 3GB of RAM. 32 bits means 32 bits of address space, somewhere around 4 billion. You only get 3GB to play with because the rest is used for processor "magic". So if you put more than 3GB in a 32 bit version Windows machine, you threw away money.

Chances are you don't have an app that even knows what to do with 3GB of RAM anyway. I do, and run both 32 and 64 bit versions of XP and Vista and I mainly run only custom apps on the 64 bit machines.

Of course you could run the 64 bit version with loads of memory and run multiple apps simultaneously without slowing down for the swap file.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:36 AM   #17
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypno-Toad View Post
Gents, unless I've missed something I have no idea what you are talking about.

1. You do not get a choice of 32 or 64 bit installation when you install. You choose at time of purchase.

2. x86 does not mean 32 bit only that it is bakwards compatible all the back to the 16 bit 80186. All processors sold in from at least last year on for PCs are 64 bit.
For your number 1)
If you look in shops that sell Vista you will notice that there are only Vista Basic, Premium, Business and Ultimate.. It doesnt say that they are 32bit or 64bit because all the version have 32bit and 64bit.. Its y Microsoft stuck the OS on a DVD...
Vista detects your processor's capability once it find that it can process in 64bit it will AUTOMATICALLY choose which version...

So far any app that i have installed on my Vista x64 has had no compatibility problem.. If you have problems the best thing to do is just look for a software patch.. Ive even managed to run games from 1991....

The only problem is Nvidia's lack of driver compatibility

Oh. and i found one app that uses 4gb of memory... BF2
Old 04-02-2007, 08:11 AM   #18
Registered Member

The copy of Vista Ultimate that I returned had two DVDs. One for 32 bit and another for 64 bit. While the copy Microsoft gave me has 32 and 64 bit on the box cover, I don't know if it's 1 or 2 DVDs. Dosen't really matter to me now anyway, I have it for sale on eBay and also for sale or trade on a Canon forum.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:01 PM   #19
Registered Member

Thanks for the correction gents. I use the sytem builders version. For those, you specifically specify which version you are purchasing and it is only that version you receive. It's also half the cost of the retail version but you get no free phone calls since your support is to come from the system maker.

Sounds like a mistake to force the user into 64 bit mode if it is not what they need. IMHO the 64 bit version is still not ready for prime-time for most users. But it is getting better. My supposition is that not giving the user an option is to pressure software developers to build 64 bit versions which would be a big marketing point and little else for most.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:51 PM   #20
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

Quote:
If you look in shops that sell Vista you will notice that there are only Vista Basic, Premium, Business and Ultimate.. It doesnt say that they are 32bit or 64bit because all the version have 32bit and 64bit.. Its y Microsoft stuck the OS on a DVD...
Vista detects your processor's capability once it find that it can process in 64bit it will AUTOMATICALLY choose which version...
Aus_Karlos, I don't think thats correct and please correct me if I am wrong.

Please reveiw this http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/64bit.mspx

It states this
Quote:
If you bought Windows Vista Home Basic, Home Premium, or Business as a retail, packaged product, and you would like a DVD of 64-bit software media to install on your PC, please choose your language:
I have home premiun and the literature inside tells me to go to that site if I want to install the 64 bit edition and order the dvd for a minimal charge of shipping.

The way I understand it only ultimate contains both 32 and 64 bit dvd's and you run witch ever dvd for the version you want to install

JOIN TEAM TSF
Closed Thread