Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

"Disk Read Error, Please Restart" on Lenovo Laptop

5K views 18 replies 3 participants last post by  shawnpb 
#1 ·
Hello,

I am a new member. I've made a post in the Introductions thread--feel free to read.

I am attempting to fix a Lenovo laptop with a "disk read error, please restart" message.
I attempted to boot from USB to reformat/re-install Windows 7 Ultimate, but after the "windows is loading files" message and logo appears, a black screen displays with a white mouse arrow indefinitely. The laptop specs are as follows (do excuse any unnecessary information listed, I just copied down what information BIOS told me):

Product name: Lenovo 3000 G530
Serial Number: EB17892070
CPU type: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU t4400
CPU speed: 2.20 GHz
BIOS version: 0CCN58WW (V1.24)
Total memory: 2048MB

I'd appreciate any help. Feel free to instant message me. I am eager to learn about computers and work on this first project.

-Revy

See less See more
#2 ·
Seems you might have a failing hard drive. From another PC.

Downloading UBCD which is in my signature.Burn the ISO Image to a blank CD using Imgburn (How to burn a ISO Image using Imgburn) burn at lowest speed. With the newly burned cd boot with the cd go to HDD>Diagnostics>The make and model of your hard drive, Seagate, Maxtor, Drive Fitness which is Hitachi, Or Western Digital. Perform a short and long test. Could also be called "Standard" and "Extended" test or also "Comprehensive" test. The Seagate hard drive test will work on most drives.

The forum rules does not let any one use private messages for troubleshooting purposes. The reason for this is because people whom visit the forum may have similar problems as you do. They can not find similar solutions if they are in private messages.

Forum Rules.

#5 ·
As Jack said, this looks like a failed HDD. You can also download the ISO image for Seatools in my signature, although the UBCD has more tools. Burn the Image to CD using IMGBurn also in my signature Boot off of the newly created CD and run the short and long tests on the drive. If either test fails the HDD needs to be replaced.

In the future, if the HDD is in good shape, you do not have to use a Window USB flash drive to reinstall. There is a recovery partition on all laptops that you can set the OS back to Factory Defaults: How to use the pre-boot service partition to recover your software

#9 ·
I never mentioned using Ubuntu I mentioned Ultimate Boot CD (UBCD)
The tools suggested are not in Ubuntu, You can use Ubuntu to browse the C: drive and save any user files to a USB HDD.
To run the Hard Disk Drive Diagnostics you would need to download and burn the UBCD for Windows Or follow the suggestions post #5 and in the Quote you made. And burn a Seatools CD.

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
No. It would be better just getting a new one. I provided a link to where you can get one for under $100. Also where you can request replacement media (OEM copy of Windows).

The short test is not needed. Since you have done the long test and there are errors the short test is useless. The hard drive needs replaced.

Hard Drives & Data Storage: Flash Drives & USB Hard Drives | Lenovo | (US)

Go here to request replacement media (OEM Windows install disk)

How can I get a Product Recovery CD or DVD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.