Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diasable Removable Devices

916 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  TechROMe 
#1 · (Edited)
I have just setup a medium sized network and wanted to cut down on the possibility of viruses and other nasty things from causing problems. Someone mentioned to me that disabling removable devices would help but I don't know how to do this or if it really works. So I would like some information on how to disable removable devices in Windows 7 and if doing so will actually work since I don't know.

#3 ·
Thanks for the quick answer and helpful link.

As to the other part of the question, I was wondering if you can attest to the effectiveness of using this to keep malicious code at bay? Reading that something helps and hearing it from actual people who have implemented it are two very different things. If you feel that this is better answered in the networking section of the forum then I will start a thread there.

#4 ·
As an IT pro, I can attest to some of it.
Disabling USB devices is one of the last things you should be doing, but it is helpful in the right environment.
The first things you need are:
* A good antivirus
* A firewall
* Data backup/recovery

With these in place, you limit damage. Should a problem arise, it takes little work to reformat a compromised PC and reinstall. If you're using a good imaging program as well, it's even easier.

After that, if you are still concerned about security, consider:
* User access restrictions (no ability to install software)
* Internet access restrictions (to prevent unauthorized access to virus-risky websites)
* USB device lockdown.

There are many vectors for malicious software. Deal with those that are easy, first. Blocking USB ports is more for protecting your company from deliberate inside attack or theft rather than from viruses. Unless you're in a situation where such a thing is a significant threat, you might face resentment from your staff.

#5 · (Edited)
Thanks for your feedback on this subject.

So you're basically saying that disabling removable devices is going a little too far if the network doesn't have sensitive enough data to warrant such a restriction? All of the other network and network security suggestions that you mentioned are already in place and working well to keep out viruses, other harmful code and harmful people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.