Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diagnosis policy service error need help

2K views 21 replies 2 participants last post by  jenae 
#1 ·
Hello.

Yes I know someone else posted on this, but mine is slightly more uncooperative.

I'm having an issue with my diagnosis policy service. Error 5
Of course that means I can't connect to the Internet, so I had to use another device to ask.

Here are the things I tried already:
Antivirus
Adware cleaner
Changing permissions for DSP
Administrator Command prompt
Fixit

Here are my results
The antivirus woun't pick up anything that would affect the pc in such a way

Adware Cleaner doesn't seem to want to actually remove what it finds
(Annoying mail.ru stuff won't go away, might try manually deleting it)

Permissions turns out to be already on full control

The command prompt did absolutely nothing

Fixit won't run at all.

And after all that the policy service is still refusing to start via error 5

Any other options I should try?

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi, welcome to the forums.

Error 5 indicates a permissions problem, most likely on the parameters registry key. First we need to see what your registry contains now (perfectly safe as this only reads the keys that are there)

Go to start search and type cmd right click on the returned cmd.exe and select "run as administrator" at the command prompt copy and paste the cmd below (highlighted in red):-

reg query "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DPS" /s > 0 & notepad 0 (press enter), please post the notepad outcome here.

In addition can you check to see if the DHCP service is running and Windows Firewall if you use it?

#4 ·
Hi, thanks, your service registry entry is as it should be, go to search and type:- regedit.exe right click on the returned regedit.exe and select "run as administrator"

If prompted, enter your user name and password and click OK.
Browse to each of the following keys:

Firewall problem first:-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Defaults\FirewallPolicy

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Parameters\FirewallPolicy

Right click the key (FirewallPolicy) and click Permissions.
Under Group or user names, select your account.
Under the Allow column in Permissions, make sure the Full Control and Read boxes are checked.
Click Apply, then click OK.

Do this for both keys

Next:-

Browse to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SharedAccess\Epoch

Right click the key (Epoch) then click Permissions, then click Advanced.
Under the Name column, click the one that states MpsSvc, then click Edit.
Under the Allow column, make sure the Query Value and Set Value boxes are checked.
Click OK to close the window, then click Apply, then click OK.

Now for the DPS problem:-

Still in the registry editor:-

Browse to the following key:-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DPS\Parameters

Right click the key (Parameters) and click Permissions.
Under Group or user names, select your account.
Under the Allow column in Permissions, make sure the Full Control and Read boxes are checked.
Click Apply, then click OK.

Close Registry editor and restart your computer, let us know how you get on.

#5 ·
Again checking the permissions for DPS was one of the first thing I tried besides the CREATOR/OWNER which has "special permissions" everything else has full control, that's why I need help my PC seemingly just doesn't want to let me restart the diagnosis policy service. Here screenshots of the permission boxes plus the error message.

Attachments

#8 ·
Hi, what happened with the firewall? Open a cmd as admin post #2, and copy paste:-

sc create DPS binpath= "C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k LocalServiceNoNetwork" start= Auto > 0 & notepad 0 press enter

Let us see the notepad outcome. You have to do this from an account that has administrator privileges, (in fact this applies to the post #2 as well).

#12 ·
Hi, have you backed up your data? Often the easiest way to repair multiple problems is with a fresh install of windows (clean install).

Have you ever had any Anti Virus program on your computer and have you since uninstalled it? It is possible that malware is responsible for your problems.Could you open a cmd as admin and copy paste:-

echo > 0 & tasklist /svc /fi "imagename eq svchost.exe" >> 0 & tasklist /v >>0 & Tasklist /m >> 0 & net start >> 0 & systeminfo >> 0 & echo >> 0 & notepad 0 Press enter, please attach the notepad contents to your next post.

#13 ·
Hi, in addition please open a cmd prompt as admin and copy paste:-

sc sdshow DPS > 0 & notepad 0 press enter Then:-

sc sdshow MpsSvc > 0 & notepad 0 press enter

Copy paste both notepad outcomes here. This reveals the current security descriptors for these two services.

#18 ·
Hi, Anti Virus programs deeply embed themselves into the OS, normal removal usually leaves behind many elements, these can and do cause problems, especially if another AV is installed, we need to be thoroughly rid of them. Please download and run:-

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/au/home/current/solutions/v60392881_EndUserProfile_en_us

Download AVG Remover - MajorGeeks

In addition we will temporarily remove Avast, and then we will test our errant services, you can reinstall Avast if you wish, after we test.

https://www.avast.com/faq.php?article=AVKB10 (download the Avast uninstall utility).

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.