Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

Dell Laptop Freezes Randomly in NORMAL mode

This is a discussion on Dell Laptop Freezes Randomly in NORMAL mode within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi guys, I'm working on a computer that is freezing up in normal mode. Freezes up kinda randomly (after 5

Closed Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 10:11 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi guys,

I'm working on a computer that is freezing up in normal mode. Freezes up kinda randomly (after 5 minutes or 15 or whatever).

When it freezes it'll display everything but nothing movies, just a picture of what was there last (cursor does not move).

I've tried:
  • Removing malware
  • Doing an extended hard drive diagnostic test
  • Running chkdsk

Where would you guys go from here? I was thinking it might be a heat issue but then wouldn't it turn off completely?

Old 02-29-2012, 10:22 PM   #2

Dell laptops are facing these problems and I am facing the same with my laptop as well.You should resolve its heating issues and remove all the dust through any proper means.Also check for the memory upgrades.Hope so it will work better.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:58 AM   #3
- Microsoft Support

OS: Windows 8.1 64bit/Ubuntu 14 LTS 64bit via Vm Player

My System

Do the fans speed up when and during when the system freezes? Clean all air vents with a can of compressed air. Leave the laptop elevated from couch and bed like surfaces. Go into bios and look into the voltage and temp readings.

Virus Help
Ubuntu Live CD
PC Running Slow?
Memtest
UBCD
Remember dust buildup in your PC can be a killer!!
Old 03-01-2012, 10:04 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer_24 View Post
Do the fans speed up when and during when the system freezes? Clean all air vents with a can of compressed air. Leave the laptop elevated from couch and bed like surfaces. Go into bios and look into the voltage and temp readings.
I think I can rule out overheating considering the computer has been on all night from a boot cd and it does fine in safe mode. Only happens in normal mode so I have a feeling it's an OS issue. Tried malware removal and chkdsk and I'm going to backup and reformat to try and save some time.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:05 PM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Quote:
I was thinking it might be a heat issue
Do as Jack said, and blow out all fans with a can of compressed air. Be sure there is ventilation to the bottom of the laptop.
If this only happens in Normal mode, then try a Clean Boot see if that works.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:32 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
Do as Jack said, and blow out all fans with a can of compressed air. Be sure there is ventilation to the bottom of the laptop.
If this only happens in Normal mode, then try a Clean Boot see if that works.
Installed Windows 7, no freezes yet. Took a couple hours or more to install SP1 but it's just restarting now :)