Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

dell inspiron only works in safe mode

This is a discussion on dell inspiron only works in safe mode within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I don't know what happened exactly but my computer said that it was installling updates randomly and it started shutting

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 07:48 AM   #1
Registered Member

I don't know what happened exactly but my computer said that it was installling updates randomly and it started shutting down. i let it do its thing and then when it rebooted it and i typed in my password and stuff and then when it goes to the desktop page it has a light blue color on the screen and none of the icons or the bar at the bottom with my icons down there or start button is there. it's completely clear. I was wondering if someone could help me with this problem so that i don't have to pay someone to come and fix it.

Thanks.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:03 AM   #2
Volunteer

My System

Hi Lava, I hope you get it fixed. I have to say, I'm not an expert.

First, give your PC specifications. And, it would be really helpful if you could attach a screenshot of what your desktop looks like now, 'cause I have no clue. By updates, you do mean Windows Update, right? Also, could you please give a more accurate description of your problem...

Submit New Articles Here

Linux User #565010

It's never about how good you are, it's about how much you can change lives.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:18 AM   #3
Registered Member

My laptop is a mini- dell inspiron 1018. When i log in on my username, the screen comes on in a light blue color and stays that way. there aren't any icons on the screen just the color. and yeah i did mean windows update. Also when i try to shut it down i can't really access the start menu to shut it down properly so i have to press the power button to turn it off, which probably makes it worse. Then when i turn the computer back on, a screen comes up that says my computer didn't shut down properly and it asks if i want to go into a safe mode, safe mode with networking, or a safe mode with command prompt. Then below that it has an option to start windows normally. If i click start windows normally that's when the blue screen comes up and that's all you see.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:16 AM   #4
Volunteer

My System

Okay. Do you have any idea what update was installed? If not, go to Windows Update (via safe mode), and on the left pane, select 'View update history' and please post what updates were installed here.

Submit New Articles Here

Linux User #565010

Old 05-12-2012, 09:29 AM   #5
Volunteer

My System

Next time you boot windows, keep on tapping F8, as soon as you see the Gateway splash screen. Select advanced options or Repair Computer. Select you language then select Repair your computer. Then select system restore select a restore point before the Windows update was installed. Tell me this fixes the problem.

Give me an update.

Submit New Articles Here

Linux User #565010

Old 05-12-2012, 11:06 AM   #6
Team Manager - Hardware

Try a System Restore to a time before the updates.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:27 PM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

If you can start Windows in Safe Mode, as Tyree said, run a System Restore. Also at the Advanced Boot Menu (Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking etc) scroll down and as babbzz said choose Repair Your Computer. If that fails it will take you to the RE (Recovery Environment) here choose Command Prompt, type chkdsk C: /R and press enter. Check Disk will try and fix any file errors.

Closed Thread