Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

Dell Inspiron N5030 won't startup, even in safe mode

This is a discussion on Dell Inspiron N5030 won't startup, even in safe mode within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Yesterday, my son was playing Star Wars, Empire at War and when he closed it down, he got impatient and

Old 02-11-2013, 09:25 AM   #1
Registered Member

Yesterday, my son was playing Star Wars, Empire at War and when he closed it down, he got impatient and forced a shut down by pressing the power button and holding it down while it was trying to shut the program down. Ever since then, when I try to start up my computer, it starts up part way and then it tells me that it can't start windows (7) properly. I then get the option of running the startup repair, which I've done now 4 times. The last couple of times I've run it, it has told me that it cannot automatically repair the problem and so it sends an error report.

I went to advanced system repair options, and I tried to do a system restore, but it wouldn't do it because no system restore point had been chosen by the computer. When I tried to choose a system restore point, it wouldn't let me.

I've tried to start the computer in safe mode so that I can run a system restore, but it still gets all jammed up when it tries to start in safe mode and, after loading some programs, it suddenly goes to an all gray screen. It stays on the all gray screen for about an hour (while the hard drive is working away) only to then tell me that there is a problem with startup and that I need to run the startup repair.

Any ideas for how to fix this? Thanks.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:30 AM   #2
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi and welcome to TSF do you have a install or recovery disc from which you can attempt to repair the machine, forcing the shut down seems to have corrupted the operating system this may be one of the steps you could attempt Use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
joeten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:37 AM   #3
Registered Member

Sorry if I sound really stupid here, but I don't really know that much about computers. I have a disk that is called, "Dell, Drivers and Utilities already installed on your computer" and at the bottom it says, "For reinstalling Dell Inspiron N5030 computer software." Is that the disk you mean? If so, how do I use it? Just stick it in and start up the computer? Thanks.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:47 AM   #4
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

The drivers and utlilities disc is not the correct disc, the info contained here may allow you to recover to factory settings you will loose any data and programs will need to be reinstalled Dell Inspiron N5030 | Setup Guide page 61

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
joeten is offline   Reply With Quote
Gear in this thread