Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] Dell Dimension E520, problem with IE 9

2K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  joeten 
#1 ·
Hello everybody! The last 4 or 5 month I have a problem with my Dell Dimension E520. I understand it already a little bit old machine, but with my financing situation I cannot afford to change computer every 2-3 years!
System: Dell E520 model DM061
OS Vista Home Premium 32 bit
Internet explorer 9, HD 250 GB,
Physical memory 4 GB
Total Memory 3GB
Available memory 1.4 GB
Total Virtual memory 4.65 GB
Page File Space 3.29 GB
Antivirus – Avast Free, Malwarebyte (free), Spybot-Search (free), SuperaAntivirus(free), CCleaner (free) Advanced SystemCare 7 (free). Constantly run on background only Avast, Windows defender and Firewall. The rest of these programs I run to perform cleaning. About once a month I run ESET online deep cleaning. Third party cookie is disabled. My search engine is Yahoo for many years! I don’t like Google and use it very seldom. I don’t use any extra tool bars. I don’t play any games online at all!
1) I have a problem with Internet explorer. Often it stops working and in box I got message to check for solution online or stop program.
2) When I closed Internet my desktop icons frizzes and doesn’t respond for 2-3 minuets!!!?
3) To open any Internet site sometimes it takes a long time!
4) Many video sites point me to upgrade Flash player to the last version and I try to do this. I fallow procedure on the Adobe site and end up with bad results.
5) I constantly get a message from “Secunia PSI” “Secunia PSI Agent has stopped working. Windows can check online for solution to the problem”! I tried to check online and nothing happened. Windows don’t find any solution. “Please run a scan you might have outdated software”. I have no idea from where this “Secunia PSI” came from and do I need it on my machine!? I never have it before. Or maybe its good software and I should keep it?
After excessive cleaning with several programs IE start working OK but for one hour and all problems coming back!
Any help I appreciated!
Val.

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Dell Dimension E520, problem with IE 9

Wow! You have a lot going on. First of all you're running XP. I don't think that Microsoft is supporting XP any longer, which puts you at a very high risk. I'm not sure which version of Internet Explorer you have. No you do not need Secunia. Secunia is a software that checks programs for up dates. It's a good program, but IMHO it is not needed. If you up date Java, be sure you uncheck the Ask tool bar!!
This is what I use to up date Java and Adobe.
Verify Java Version
http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/find-version-flash-player.html

#3 ·

@donetao, the OP has stated that they are running Vista 32 bit and IE9.
I am not familiar with Secunia but you don't need it. And if part of their software is a registry cleaner or booster, it may have caused more problems then it fixes, so Uninstall it.
You should only download Adobe Flash Player from their site and nowhere else https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ uncheck "optional" software.
Have you tried another browser like Firefox or Chrome?
Set IE to default, in IE go to Tools/Internet Options/Advanced/Reset Internet Explorer settings/Reset.

#5 · (Edited)

Sorry missed the the Vista 32 bit. I already explained about Secunia. It's a free software that searches for up dates for software. It does not have a register cleaner, and as I stated, is not needed. The link I provided for Java and adobe were taken from the forum and posted by a staff member.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/for...est-java-and-adobe-versions-adobe-972297.html

#6 · (Edited)

I prefer to work with Microsoft IE 9. I do not use Firefox browser. I have Google Chrome and Chrome has its own flash player and it works well.
My front page and search engine is Yahoo! If I open any video clip in Yahoo it has to work with Adobe player. Before to install FP from Adobe site
I run FP uninstaller to cleanup all. But after download last version some videos not working. For some videos clip I have massage to “download last version of FP”.??
Do you have any advice about problems 1), 2) and 3) in my post?
When I rebut computer it takes too long to start working! I run very limited Startup programs Most of them is disabled. Maybe I have too many services programs in download manager but I don’t know which one is necessary and which can be removed or disabled. It’s more than hundred of them. Any advice would be helpful.

#7 ·

If you continue to have problems with IE and all other browsers work well, then consider switching browsers.
Setting IE to default as outlined in Post #3 should eliminate problems 1,2, and 3.

#9 ·

Hello everybody! After I download any program or small application and try to save it “save as..” it not working. It doesn’t open my computer folders.
I can save only with option “save” and it saves strait to my documents only. Any ideas how to fix it I would appreciate it!!
Val.

#10 ·

1. Open Internet Explorer for the desktop.
  2. Click the Tools
    button, and then click View downloads.
  3. In the View Downloads dialog box, click Options in the lower left hand corner.
  4. Choose a different default download location by clicking Browse, and click OK when you're done.
If you continue to have problems, go to Start/Search and type CMD, Right click the CMD results and Run As Administrator, in the Elevated Command Prompt type SFC /scannow and press enter. This will replace any missing system files.

#11 ·

How many anti virus programs are you running? I counted Avast and "SuperaAntivirus(free)" Two is too much. When you open web pages your antivirus scans those web pages in real time also any downloads having two AV programs could be the problem including if Malwarebytes is running in real time also including Spybot Search and Destroy. Are all of these running?

#13 ·

Thanks Spunk for your advice. I will try this and let you know how it works for me.
Thanks Jack! The antivirus software running constantly only Avast. Supera, Spybot, Malwarebyt, Advanced SystemCare, Ccleaner I run only on demand, when I clean computer and not all of them at the same time. Each of them free addition and I believe with no futures to run on the background. But each of them removes different garbage. If I am wrong please correct me.
I would like to remove Awast antivirus and download COMODO antivirus because Awast kills me with buying offers and it is impossible to avoid it. What is your opinion about Comodo free addition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.