Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Default folders are named differently

SOLVED 
1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  jenae 
#1 ·
Hi,
I am getting annoyed and confused by this thing. Some of the default folders (Documents, Homegroup, Downloads, Desktop) are named in English though using a Swedish system. The same with shortcuts to programs in the Start Menu in the Accessories folder, like Calculator, Magnifying glass, etc.

What may have caused this? Could there be any cause in the registry and is there an "easy" fix for this without having to reinstall Windows?

#3 ·
You cannot change the Default language of the version of Windows you installed. If you installed an English version of Windows, and then installed the Swedish Input language pack, as outlined in the link that Chief listed, the Windows Default folders will still be in English.

#4 ·
Well as far as I know the default language is in Swedish, so I dont get why folders are named in English. This started several months ago.

I took a screenshot of the situation. As you can see Desktop is named both Desktop and Skrivbord, and Control Panel is named in English there but in start menu it says Kontrollpanelen, Homegroup, Network... etc... I don't know what caused this. No virus has been found either.

Its not that it disrupts functioning or so but its rather annoying.

Attachments

#5 ·
No idea on this?

I stumbled across another issue. Some software seem to save in "Documents" and "My Documents" folders which are not related to "Mina Dokument" at all, meaning I get several different folders with the same well... use.

I really need help with this as it gets so confusing. I don't know where in the registry files could be possibly wrong, the environment variables? The default folder locations? There are so many different posts in the registry I don't know where to look.

I don't want to reinstall the system because of this, and I am not sure if a "free" registry fixer is the solution....

#10 ·
In Control Panel got to Programs and Features, then on the left of the screen is installed updates, select that and a list is shown in chronological order, last installed is at the top.
I'm not sure if this is the cause but there was an issue with fonts causing problems with language packs.. (it's only a hunch)

#11 ·
Not exactly sure when this started but the latest update was from June 2014... Might have turned off Windows Updates (mostly because I have not had any internet between June and now...).

But could not find any font update unfortunately.

I did some experiments in the registry (darn me didn't do backups...) but I have not noticed this until now.

Of course it is livable. The laptop is starting to sound a bit old and I'd rather have it live a bit more without having to reinstall again (which probably will put too much strain on the harddrive).

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.