Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

Creating Mirror Disk - Windows 7 (32-bit)

This is a discussion on Creating Mirror Disk - Windows 7 (32-bit) within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I'm using Windows 7 - 32-bit I have a second hard disk on my computer (it has no driver letter

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 03:01 AM   #1
Registered Member

I'm using Windows 7 - 32-bit
I have a second hard disk on my computer (it has no driver letter though) and have been told about creating a "mirror disk" instead of having to back up critical personal data every week.
I have a number of questions:-
1) is this a good option?
2) does it noticibly effect startup and operation?
I also have some questions as to how I manage the second disk, depending on the answer to above.
Should I post this as a separate thread?
T

Old 04-03-2012, 03:17 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Quote:
RAID 1 (mirroring without parity or striping), data is written identically to two drives, thereby producing a "mirrored set"; at least two drives are required to constitute such an array. While more constituent drives may be employed, many implementations deal with a maximum of only two; of course, it might be possible to use such a limited level 1 RAID itself as a constituent of a level 1 RAID, effectively masking the limitation.[ citation needed] The array continues to operate as long as at least one drive is functioning. With appropriate operating system support, there can be increased read performance, and only a minimal write performance reduction; implementing RAID 1 with a separate controller for each drive in order to perform simultaneous reads (and writes) is sometimes called multiplexing (or duplexing when there are only two drives).
Personally, I don't think this is for you. It's a little tricky to get it configured for novices. Adding a second drive is great and manually backing up your files you can't live without to the second drive is great means of Backup.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:25 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks,

Can I therefore ask how I get Windows explorer to see the drive (Disk 0) with a drive letter. (see attachment)
I would need a step by step approach.
T
Old 04-03-2012, 03:28 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Go to Start/Search and type diskmgmt.msc Right click the diskmgmt icon in the search results and Run As Administrator. In Disk Management, you should see your drive there, and the Drive Wizard should start automatically asking to initialize the drive, then Right click it and choose to Create a Partition and Format the Partition NTFS.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:35 AM   #5
Registered Member

Thanks,
Drive Wizard does not start automatically. I can see the disk in Disk Management. When I right click, I get the following options:-
>New Simple Volume
>New Spanned Volume
>New Striped Volume
>New Mirrored Volume
>New RAID-5 Volume (greyed out)
>Properties
>Help
Old 04-03-2012, 03:38 AM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Create a New Simple Volume. Create a Partition that is the whole size of the drive, Format the Partition NTFS
Old 04-03-2012, 03:50 AM   #7
Registered Member

Thanks for your help so far.
As you can see from the attachment, the drive is shown in 4 separate sections. The first section says "Disk 1", the other three sections show the size in Mb, There is a colour key at the bottom and this determines that section 2 (OEM Partition) and 4 (Primary Partiton) are "primary partition" and section 3 is "Unallocated".
Depending on which "section" I right-click, I get different menus.

Section 1
>New Spanned Volume
>New Striped Volume
>New Mirrored Volume
>Convert to dynamic disk
>Convert to GPT disk (greyed out)
>Offline
>Properties
>Help

Section 2
>Help

Section 3
>New Simple Volume
>New Spanned Volume
>New Striped Volume
>New Mirrored Volume
>Properties
>Help

Section 4
everything is greyed out except....
>Delete volume
>Help

T
Old 04-03-2012, 04:06 AM   #8
Registered Member

What I meant was - which of the 4 sections should I click on to follow your instructions
Old 04-03-2012, 04:26 AM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

There is no attachment.
Try to take a screenshot of Disk Management and attach it in your next post.
If you have no data that you are trying to save on this drive, then Delete all the Partitions making the Space Unallocated and Right click the Unallocated Space and create one Large Partition the size of the drive
It's 3AM here and going to bed and won't be back on for another 8 hours
Old 04-03-2012, 05:24 AM   #10
Registered Member

Sorry for keeping you up. Please understand my caution. I'm not an expert and want to do this correctly. I have attached a Microsoft Word document with all the screenshots and hope this explains it.
You say to create one large partition the size of the drive. Do you mean the size of the entire disk (232.83Gb), or the size of the unallocated section of the disk (229.77Gb)?
Thanks
T
Attached Files
File Type: doc Rogers.doc (100.0 KB, 21 views)
Old 04-03-2012, 03:14 PM   #11
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

If you don't want anything on this drive and want to use it for storage. Right Click on and highlight the 3.00 GB Partition and choose Delete Volume. This makes all the space after the 47 MB OEM partition Unallocated If you can, click on the 47 MB OEM partition and go up to the Tool bar and click the X this will Delete that partition as well. If not, don't worry about it. Now Right click in the Unallocated Space, and choose New Simple Volume and make it the full size of the drive unless you want to make a partition. And then Format the Partition NTFS.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:26 PM   #12
Registered Member

Thanks Spunk.Funk

I love this Forum. Never been let down!!

Maith An Fear Leat (as we say in Ireland!)

Tomohawk
Old 04-03-2012, 03:50 PM   #13
Registered Member

Can I ask a follow up.

When I try to set up Windows backup to the newly created drive, I get an error message "the task image is corrupt or has been tampered with" (see attachment)
Thanks,
T
Attached Files
File Type: doc Backup Error Rogers.doc (85.0 KB, 10 views)
Old 04-03-2012, 08:55 PM   #14
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Try this: technorockks: Fix The Task Image Is Corrupt Or Has Been Tampered With Errors
Skip down to the part of editing the registry.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:51 AM   #15
Registered Member

Thanks for this.
I'm not an advanced user, so statements like "registry key" generally mean not a lot to me. Is this the item in the left box "tree" or in the right box "default".(see attachment)
I assume it is "default"
I tried to delete this and got a message "unable to delete all specified values". The item "default" is still there.
Tried to run backup again but same error. Opened registry editor and "default" is still there.
By the way, I ran chkdsk and results are in attachment 2
T
Attached Files
File Type: doc Rogers_Registry.doc (125.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: doc Rogers_ckhdsk.doc (45.0 KB, 3 views)
Old 04-04-2012, 04:34 AM   #16
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

You are running Check Disk in Read Only mode, this does not fix any problems. To run it properly, go to Start/Search and type CMD right click the CMD icon in the search results and Run As Administrator. In The Command Prompt type the drive letter of the newly formatted drive (ex) R: and press enter. the prompt turns to the drive letter (ex) R:\> Now type chkdsk /R and press enter. Now type a Y for Yes to Unmount the drive. Check Disk will check the integrity of the drive.

As for editing the Registry, on the Left panel, under Tree, find the Task that is Corrupted (Windows Backup?) Highlight this yellow folder and Export it (back it up) and then Delete it. Now restart Task Scheduler again and start a new backup. Or you can ditch the Windows Backup all together and use EaseUs Todo Backup Or just drag the files you can't live without (Documents, Pictures, Music etc) into the newly formatted drive. Remember to keep things you can't live without always in 2 different places.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:52 AM   #17
Registered Member

Hi,
Thanks for your help so far.
Tried chkdsk option and got message "cannot lock the drive" (see attachment)
Searched the "tree" folder in registry but cannot find the task (see same attachment as above)
Attached Files
File Type: doc Rogers_chkdsk_registry.doc (89.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 04-05-2012, 01:55 AM   #18
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Start an Elevated Command prompt and type diskpart and press enter after each of the commands. The Prompt looks like
DISKPART>
Now type List Volume and looks like
DISKPART> list volume
Here it list the various volumes, type Select Volume and type in the # of Drive B:
DISKPART> select volume 2 (Or whatever volume #)
Volume 2 is the Selected Volume
Now type select partition
DISKPART> select partition
partition 1 is the selected partition

now type detail partition
DISKPART> detail partition
This should show you that the partition was Write Protected but it removes the attribute. Now close out of Command Prompt.
Now start an Elevated Command prompt again and type in the command
chkdsk B: /R and press enter. Then type a Y for Yes to run Check Disk at next bootup.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:16 AM   #19
Registered Member

Hi,

I did as you advised.
When I ran chkdsk (I assume the command has a space in it i.e.
chkdsk(space)B:(Space)/R
I did NOTget a request to run Check Disk at next bootup, but chkdsk seemed to run ok.
I did not reboot and tried backup again with same error (corrupt or tampered disk)
(Screens attached)
Attached Files
File Type: doc Rogers_Diskpart.doc (121.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 04-05-2012, 11:22 AM   #20
Registered Member

Thanks EDN1,
You may very well be right, but a Windows message saying "task image is corrupt or has been tampered with" cannot be ignored (I assume!)
The one thing that I would want to be sure of is that the backup location is stable.
T