Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

Counterfeit Windows 7 Message

This is a discussion on Counterfeit Windows 7 Message within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, today I came home to see an error message on my computer screen stating "You may be a victim

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 08:22 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, today I came home to see an error message on my computer screen stating "You may be a victim of software counterfeiting" I have been running windows 7 for about 6 months now and my copy of win7 was purchased at the store and is definitely not counterfeit. I really need help on how to solve this problem. I have tried reactivating windows 7 but it still says it's not genuine. When I do reactivate however, the product key shown in the computer properties screen is different than the one I entered, so could this be the act of some sort of malware? I need help as soon as possible. Thanks.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:59 PM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus

Re enter your product key into the properties so it is the one that came with the DVD.

Then activate it using Microsoft's phone system (it usually works when normal activation fails)

Then run the Genuine Windows tool -> http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/

Regards,
Reventon