Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

Connected to Wireless Network but no internet

This is a discussion on Connected to Wireless Network but no internet within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I've been having a problem with my internet on my laptop. It shows me as connected to my wireless

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 09:19 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello, I've been having a problem with my internet on my laptop. It shows me as connected to my wireless network with full bars but it has "limited connectivity." I am posting this from my laptop with an ethernet cord plugged in directly to the router. It's not the router's fault because other computers/laptops in the house can connect and use the internet.

I have a Linksys router Model no. WCG200v2-CC

The results of my "ipconfig" results are as follows
============================================

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . . : fe80::657d:d52f:f52d:a17c%12
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address . . : 169.254.161.124
Subnet Mask . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway. . . . . . . :

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . . : fe80:fdc6:68e4:396e:ebc3%11
IPv4 Address . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.15
Subnet Mask . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

=================================

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:26 AM   #2
Registered Member

Pull up a command prompt and type in ipconfig /all what is the dns information show?

Old 02-12-2011, 09:28 AM   #3
Registered Member

If it shows what your default gateway shows then I would look at upgrading the wireless card drivers on your laptop.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:39 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myronlm View Post
Pull up a command prompt and type in ipconfig /all what is the dns information show?
Wireless LAN Adapter Wireless Network Connection:

DNS Servers:

fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

DNS Servers:

Old 02-12-2011, 09:49 AM   #5
Registered Member

If your dns for the wireless is what it says below then remove it. Leave it in obtain automatically.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:59 AM   #6
Registered Member

It's already obtaining the DNS automatically.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:32 AM   #7
- Microsoft Support

The issue I'd say is the IP address that your wireless "isn't" getting. A 169.254.161.124 address is a default IP that the system generates when it can't get an IP address from the network connection that's established. Has this wireless connection ever worked on this computer? If it has and suddenly stopped working, then you can delete that connection (not the wireless adapter, but the connection) and then the next time you attempt to connect it will ask for the security key (if you're running security) and then all should be well.

From time to time, we have been tempted to believe that society has become too complex to be managed by self-rule, that government by an elite group is superior to government for, by, and of the people. But if no one among us is capable of governing himself, then who among us has the capacity to govern someone else?
-Ronald Reagan, 1981 Inaugural Address-
Closed Thread