Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

Computer won't stay asleep?

This is a discussion on Computer won't stay asleep? within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. For the longest time, now, my computer has been unable to stay in sleep mode. Any time I put it

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 03:15 PM   #1
Registered Member

For the longest time, now, my computer has been unable to stay in sleep mode. Any time I put it in sleep mode, it will stay asleep for maybe 3-5 minutes, and then it pops back on. It didn't do this at first, and I can't really think of anything I had installed or changed that would cause this to occur.

I had given up on solving the issue, because I just couldn't figure it out. But now it's annoying me again. Earlier today, I looked through some of my installed programs that run in the background, and I made sure to close all of them, thinking one (or more) of them might be causing the computer to continually wake up, but nothing changed...

I don't suspect I have any kind of malware, as I've had this issue for a long time, now, and I haven't had any other problems or issues (not to mention, I do frequent virus scans on my machine). I just can't figure out what it keeps doing this...

Old 10-07-2011, 04:09 PM   #2
- Microsoft Support
- Networking

I would guess at a software program running in the background or maybe an update service for a piece of software. Is your mouse getting moved while the computer's asleep? Go into Control Panel and Power Options and recheck your settings for sleep and hibernation.

Old 10-07-2011, 04:34 PM   #3
Registered Member

Nope, the mouse doesn't get moved, and Power Options appears to be fine.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:49 PM   #4
- Microsoft Support
- Networking

When you don't need the computer for a little while, try disconnecting it from the internet and see if it sleeps.

You could also try booting it into Safe Mode and just leave it on so it goes to sleep. Power on the computer, keep tapping the F8 key, then select Safe Mode.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:24 AM   #5
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.

Hi, when it comes out of sleep go to start search, and type:- cmd, right click on the returned cmd.exe and select "run as administrator" at the prompt type:-

powercfg -lastwake (press enter)

Old 10-08-2011, 09:13 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenae View Post
Hi, when it comes out of sleep go to start search, and type:- cmd, right click on the returned cmd.exe and select "run as administrator" at the prompt type:-

powercfg -lastwake (press enter)
I did that, but it didn't really show me anything useful.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:19 PM   #7
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.

Hi, do it again this time (copy paste):-

Code:
powercfg -lastwake>0 & notepad 0
paste the outcome here.

Old 10-08-2011, 04:24 PM   #8
Registered Member

This?

Wake History Count - 1
Wake History [0]
Wake Source Count - 0

That's all it shows. Doesn't seem like much...
Old 10-08-2011, 05:38 PM   #9
Registered Member

I had the same problem with Vista a couple of years ago but was able to correct it in Device Manager. Expand Network Adapters, then bring up their properties, and on the Power Management tab uncheck "allow this device to wake the computer".

And if you live on the west coast of Californie, you may want to do the same adjustments to your mouse properties. :-)