Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

Computer Turns off when USB plugged In

This is a discussion on Computer Turns off when USB plugged In within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey Guys, I've looked online as to why this could possibly be happening. People are saying that the USB i'm

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 04:15 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hey Guys,

I've looked online as to why this could possibly be happening. People are saying that the USB i'm plugging in is drawing too much power which causes the PSU to shut off in turn turning my computer off. Or there's some sort of short happening that causes my computer to turn off to begin with. I'm not sure why this would happen and I'm hoping some one can enlighten me as to how I can fix this. I've provided my specs below so you don't have to ask.

P.S. I'm plugging a USB data cable and nothing is even attached to the USB cable. I barely even touch the USB port and my computer turns off.

Windows 7 Ultimate
Patriot 8gb RAM
Corsair 750 watt PSU
GeForce 550Ti GPU
AMD Athlon II x4 CPU
ECS MCP61M-M3 Motherboard

Old 01-11-2012, 08:29 PM   #2
Hardware Tech Team

My System

Most likely cause would be a short.

Are you plugging into a port on the motherboard or a Front USB?

Old 01-11-2012, 08:42 PM   #3
Registered Member

[QUOTE=makinu1der2;3582470]Most likely cause would be a short.

Are you plugging into a port on the motherboard or a Front USB?[/QUOTIE]

I'm plugging into a port in front of my case. It's not actually apart of the motherboard itself. It's apart of the case. There's not much I can do other than to replace the Ports itself huh?
Old 01-11-2012, 08:45 PM   #4
Hardware Tech Team

My System

Do you have this problem if connected to a port on the motherboard?

Remove the power to the PC and check the USB cable for damage (there should be a cable connected to motherboard to the front panel USB board)
Old 01-11-2012, 09:23 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by makinu1der2 View Post

Remove the power to the PC and check the USB cable for damage (there should be a cable connected to motherboard to the front panel USB board)
all the USB Ports in the motherboard are functional. It's only the front case ones that are causing this
. And I'll check the Ports later tonight when I'm home. See if there's any damage.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:41 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by makinu1der2 View Post

Just checked the USB cable connecting to the mobo. Looks fine. I don't see any obvious damage. I tried air dusting around the USB port to see if that did any help but looks like no luck for me.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:23 AM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

You should only use the Front USB ports for low powered devices (Keyboard, Mouse etc) Higher powered devices, HDD, Flash etc should be in the back.
The front panel USB ports can be replaced if you need them.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:29 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunk.funk View Post
You should only use the Front USB ports for low powered devices (Keyboard, Mouse etc) Higher powered devices, HDD, Flash etc should be in the back.
The front panel USB ports can be replaced if you need them.
So even a data cable would be too much power consumption? I'm using the data cable to connect my phone. What's weird is that when I turn off my computer, plug the USB cable into the front USB Ports, turn the computer back on and connect my phone to the data cable, nothing happens. My computer stays on and I'm able to use the data cable normally. But if i unplug the data cable and try reconnecting to the same USB port in front, computer shuts off.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:08 AM   #9
Hardware Tech Team

My System

What case are you using? It may be possible to replace the front panel USB board.