Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

Computer Suddenly Running Slow - Random Hangups and Fan Running

This is a discussion on Computer Suddenly Running Slow - Random Hangups and Fan Running within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Brand: Gateway FX Series OS: Vista SP2 Recently my computer has started booting up very slowly, and after it boots

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 10:31 PM   #1
Registered Member

Brand: Gateway FX Series

Recently my computer has started booting up very slowly, and after it boots up the CPU or the fan (not sure which) stayed revved up. If I check the task manager idle system process is running at 98-99% all the time. I know this is a measure of how often the CPU is idle, but I don't recall it always being so high.

If I start the task manager as soon as my computer lets me when I boot up all my CPU is going to idle system process for some reason, instead of booting things up.

Its been awhile, but I seem to recall that some problems can make it look like idle process time when in reality something else is actually wrong.

I get random lag when I open a program. Firefox for example, will load just fine, but then I try to click something and the computer momentarily freezes. Its not just Firefox though, it happens when I open up "My Documents" or Pidgin or anything.

I ran Microsoft Security Essentials, Malware Bytes, and Spybot S&D, all of them came back clean.

I would post stuff from Belarc Advisor here, but it keeps hanging on the "Checking local network of this computer." part at 54%.

I'm not sure where to go from here. :(

Old 03-31-2010, 02:05 AM   #2
Registered Member

I finally got Belarc to respond and finish.

EDIT:: I can't attch the .html file. How do you all prefer it to be presented?