Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support

computer shuts down before i can log in-weird-vista

This is a discussion on computer shuts down before i can log in-weird-vista within the Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. okay so i have a problem i am trying to diagnose and fix. when i start up the computer, it

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 11:20 PM   #1
Registered Member

okay so i have a problem i am trying to diagnose and fix.
when i start up the computer, it will act normal then shut off completely.

if you let the computer sit, the longer you let it sit, the longer you can get on it before it shuts down.

however, if i manage to log in, i can put the computer in sleep mode, wake it back up, and it will work fine from then on.

it first sounded like it would be a hardware problem, but wouldnt the hardware shut itself off even after being in sleep mode? then again it sounds like it could be a software issue..

i got on it and tried to download service pack 2 to for it. that was a mistake. i had forgot that when you do a windows update, it has to upload it before you can log in. it says something like " blah blah configuring :100%, dont shut off your comp". well before it is finished, it shuts off. fml

is there any way to cancel the configuring of the sp2/windows update so i can just log in?

please help!!!

okay so i got a disk copy of windows 7, and tried to use it as you would if you didnt have an os. the computer did not stay on long enough.

now this is starting to sound like a hardware problem. if it were a hardware problem, what would it be? and why would it stay on after i was able to put it in sleep mode?

Old 11-22-2011, 01:52 AM   #2
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

what are you running
video card
cpu
m/board
ram
power supply
brand
model
wattage

check the listings in the bios for voltages and temperatures and post them

are you getting any error messages

d/load and run the h/drive makers diagnostic utility on the h/drive

Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp.

check the cpu fan hold down pins or clips have not come loose

first thoughts a re a temperature problem

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search